Hi All,

I want to start by saying thanks to everyone who helped with my motor control and speed control program, I took sometime sat down and it works flawlessly. I added in my thermocouples to tell me temperature and they work perfect, however I came up with the idea now to reach a max temperature of 600 degrees then turn off my heat source until it drops below 400 degrees then start it up again, I had an idea of using a PID but I feel there has to be a simpler and easier way. Thanks in advance for you help.

• MVP 2023

sgull is correct, but I would also add that in a lot of cases you have to build in a bit of hysterisis/deadband/whateveryoucallitcolloquially .

The reason is that if you are working with inputs that can vary the reading slightly around an average, your output(s) will chatter which in some instances is very damaging to components.

I was a bit confused about what you want to do as the temp setting seemed odd.  My suggestion is that when you need to do something like this, a little diagram of what you want your temperature map to be is extremely helpful.  You make the Y your temperature, with X the time, and along the X you can then note how you can achieve what is needed.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, Ausman said:

but I would also add that in a lot of cases you have to build in a bit of hysterisis/deadband/whateveryoucallitcolloquially

He's doing that - the deadband is between 400 & 600 degrees. sgull was suggesting a basic thermostat, which will work perfectly for eFisher0409's application.

• MVP 2023

You're looking for a deadband control, which can also be done this way in addition to sgull's suggestion-

image.png.c2fade38f698032dd9a7623838789a6c.png

You can put MIs in place of the #400 and #600 which will allow you to adjust your control from screen variables.

If you're feeling brave post your program.  I'm curious to see how you've progressed.

Joe T.