• MVP 2023

Ah.  That's the link to the Ethernet/IP description, which is typically used with an Allen Bradley PLC.  If you want to go with Unitronics I'd recommend the Modbus TCP connection:

https://www.universal-robots.com/how-tos-and-faqs/how-to/ur-how-tos/modbus-server-16377/

You can set the PLC up as a Modbus master (client).  Let us know what you're trying to get the robot to do and we can help with communication.

Joe T.

• 3 years later...

Hi Joe,

I'm trying to achieve the same thing but am having trouble getting any acknowledgement or data on the PLC side.

I have used Modbus Poll on my laptop and was able to connect to the PLC (V700) and read data, as well as the UR5 and read data, but I cannot get the PLC to read from the UR.

At the moment I am just trying to read the digital inputs of the UR, so if you could help with this I would be very appreciative. I'm new to both devices so if you could also outline the correct socket and ports to use that would be awesome. Thanks!

• MVP 2023

Don't forget that you need to allow a read offset of -1 for the plc to read things.  If the target's register is 001 you need the plc to be referring to it as 000.  Also, on many modbus items if you try to read even a small "block" of registers and the target doesn't use a register within that block, things will fall over as well.

cheers, Aus

As other mentioned before Modbus TCP is the way to go, it is pretty easy to integrate UR to pretry much everything. before digging much in to it, I'll suggest to understand how the protocol works. You mentioned that  were able to use modbus poll with the two devieces, next question: are you using PLC as Modbus Master and UR robot as Modbus Slave? because it sounds like your computer was the Modbus Master and the PLC and UR 5 the slaves on your test.