Communication Driver Error (206)

Hi

Communication Driver Error (206). I changed the cable, changed the computer, COM port number, baud rate and nothing,  my operating system is  in windows 10, don't know if its windows 10 problem,

Someone could help me? I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks

• MVP 2023

We need to know which PLC, what version of VisiLogic, what communications method, and what physical connection you are using. It would also be helpful to know if you've tried other connection methods and if you were able to connect previously, and if so, what changed? Also, are you trying to connect to a new PLC or one that already has a project loaded?

• MVP 2023
25 minutes ago, Joe Tauser said:

Where did you get a virtual PLC?

+1 to this.  I'd like to know, too.

Or do you think that because you have Visilogic working with what you set up as a V130, then this is your "virtual plc" and you can test it?

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

Edited for clarity many minutes after posting.

I don't fully understand the significance of your screenshot, except to say that the V130 window is what comes up when you try to use Remote Access, or actually get online with a physical unit and choose to display the HMI during that.  But in the screenshot there are no power lines showing that you are online ok.

What is the highlighted folder selection meant to represent?

cheers, Aus

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 11:37 AM, Flex727 said:

We need to know which PLC, what version of VisiLogic, what communications method, and what physical connection you are using. It would also be helpful to know if you've tried other connection methods and if you were able to connect previously, and if so, what changed? Also, are you trying to connect to a new PLC or one that already has a project loaded?

Hello, I have a similar problem, I have a PLC V350-J-TR20, the Visilogic version is 9.8.79 Build 0 Beta, 
I have the RS232 physical connection with the MJ10-22-CS25 cable, the PLC already has a program loaded, 
the last program has a modbus configuration that is possibly causing me the error, what do you recommend doing?

Thank you

H;

A few more questions  :

What is the Communications setup in the PLC   ( V130, V350 )?

Port 2  -- Ethernet or RS232/485  or None?

Which Port is being used for Programming?

Which Port is being used for Modbus?        Is the Modbus   Serial ( RTU) or Ethernet (TCP)  ?

What is the Baud Rate  for the Com Port(s)?   If unknown, this can be checked via Info Mode.

Is the Modbus set up as Master - Doing the polling?

or as Slave - Responding to requests for data?

Are you using COM 1 for Modbus and Programming?

Using COM1 as a Modbus Master and for Programming is asking for trouble     Communications Clashing - In and Out

Is there a way in the program to disable the Modbus Communication and allow the port to be used for programming ?  Maybe in a user menu?

Separate if at all possible - Add a 2nd Comport or Ethernet Port.

If there is a COM 2  and it is RS232/485  then this would normally be used as the Modbus Com Port and Com 1 is open for Programming and Remote Access

Is Com 2 Setup for Ethernet ?  --   IP address  and PLC Name and the Program Name  can be gotten via Info Mode.

Then Modbus Serial will use Com 1 , and you can get into the PLC via Ethernet

You can go Online with the Unit and at least looks at the data  even if you do not have the program.

You can try an  UPLOAD  from the PLC  - If the program is unlocked, you can recover the ladder.

-- If the ladder is locked, then you are out of luck.

( DO NOT ATTEMPT a DOWNLOAD  as this will overwrite the program in the PLC !!!!!! )

DanT

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 8:18 AM, DanT said:

H;

A few more questions  :

What is the Communications setup in the PLC   ( V130, V350 )?

Port 2  -- Ethernet or RS232/485  or None?

Which Port is being used for Programming?

Which Port is being used for Modbus?        Is the Modbus   Serial ( RTU) or Ethernet (TCP)  ?

What is the Baud Rate  for the Com Port(s)?   If unknown, this can be checked via Info Mode.

Is the Modbus set up as Master - Doing the polling?

or as Slave - Responding to requests for data?

Are you using COM 1 for Modbus and Programming?

Using COM1 as a Modbus Master and for Programming is asking for trouble     Communications Clashing - In and Out

Is there a way in the program to disable the Modbus Communication and allow the port to be used for programming ?  Maybe in a user menu?

Separate if at all possible - Add a 2nd Comport or Ethernet Port.

If there is a COM 2  and it is RS232/485  then this would normally be used as the Modbus Com Port and Com 1 is open for Programming and Remote Access

Is Com 2 Setup for Ethernet ?  --   IP address  and PLC Name and the Program Name  can be gotten via Info Mode.

Then Modbus Serial will use Com 1 , and you can get into the PLC via Ethernet

You can go Online with the Unit and at least looks at the data  even if you do not have the program.

You can try an  UPLOAD  from the PLC  - If the program is unlocked, you can recover the ladder.

-- If the ladder is locked, then you are out of luck.

( DO NOT ATTEMPT a DOWNLOAD  as this will overwrite the program in the PLC !!!!!! )

DanT

V350, Port 2 Ethernet; I wa using RS232; I wanted to use port 1 for the modbus RTU, now I cant enter via RS232, 
  Using COM1 as a Modbus Master and for Programming is asking for trouble     Communications Clashing - In and Out...... Yes, It is just  the problem  that I have.

I dont have problem to lose the PLC program

Can I load a new program from the SD? 

Hi;

Yes, the SD card can be used to download a new program into the PLC.

In VisiLogic,   Projects - Create the download file.

Format the SD card using the SD Card Utilities - this also adds Unitronics specific folders onto the card.

In the V350, use  Info Mode and SD  card Functions to install the new program.

If the PLC has an Ethernet Port, you can also download thru the Ethernet Port  ( IP and PLC Name are required)

If No 2nd com port, create a service screen and disable the Modbus Activity while working thru COM1, then enable Modbus Activity when done.

DanT

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a similar problem with the PC-PLC connection. PC Win10 VisiLogic 9.8.91and PLC SAMBA SM35-J-R20.

I connected many times modifying the plc program without problems. When I changed and uploaded the MODBUS connection data, an error 206 (communication driver error) appeared. Now I can't connect and change anything. The PLC only has a RS232 RJ11 port. I am using Unitronics RS232-CB1 cable.

What should I do?

blad.JPG

• MVP 2023
56 minutes ago, Tomo321 said:

When I changed and uploaded the MODBUS connection data

What did you change? If you changed the comm settings for your serial port being used for PC-PLC comms, then you can interrupt the ability to connect from VisiLogic. Go into INFO Mode and check your serial port settings.

• MVP 2023

You're calling the COM INIT 1 continuously, which is stomping on your com port.  You only need to call it once when the PLC boots.  I added an SB 2 power-up bit on a contact to network 20 in front of the INIT and CONFIG instructions.

You'll probably have to put your PLC in stop mode from the INFO mode screen to download this.  If you don't know how to get into INFO mode, take a quick look at the Help for instructions and let us know if you have trouble.

Joe T.

PROGRAM2P0161GSM3 JT.vlp

Hi All.  I have recently bought a Samba 35-J-R20 for a small project. I am new to Unitronics.

I cannot get VisiLogic and the PLC to talk - I'm getting the same 206 comms error as above. This is in a new, blank file - just trying to get comms between VisiLogic and the PLC.

I'm using a USB-DB9 RS232 adaptor, and a DB9-RJ11 cable jumper. In Device Manager, in VisiLogic, and on the PLC (Info Mode) I have the same comms settings - COM Port 1 (Serial), Baud rate 57600.

It offers me four potential causes:
1. Cable connections not secure (checked - they are)
2. Timeout is too short - it's set to 1s... I tried it at 10s out of principle, and no change.
3. Incorrect communication settings (see above)
4. Current user name is not authorised for this action: I have not logged in to anything so I don't know where to check this...

I haven't got the means at home to go testing cables. Can I just ask if I've forgotten to check anything simple before I start blaming hardware?