Setup vs commissioning - a matter of language?

Cara Bereck Levy

I don't think so....

to me, setup and programming is the physical installation and programming (designing, panel building, debugging, installing).

while commissioning is the act of putting the equipment into service (installation, final testing, and "handing the keys" over to the end user).

My 2 cents, others may have differing opinions....

JohnR

• Like 1

• MVP 2023

As far as I understand, this concerns the integration of frequency converter control (commisioning) functions into the software.
Such software accelerates the commissioning process.
Because it is not necessary to keep specialized software on the computer for this purpose.
However, it will probably not affect the time of mechanical installation or connection of this type of device.
Therefore, I think that these two sentences have different meanings as the
JohnR noted.

P.S.

When I need to compare similar terms, I try to translate them into another language and then do the reverse translation.
Sometimes there are quite interesting experiments.

• MVP 2023

I agree with all comments so far.  They are different.

In relation to Kratmel's observations, here's a sort of example.

I often use AliExpress and they always have funny/curious/way off English translations in reviews. But this one, whilst looking for a new set of wire terminal crimpers, took the cake!    "Perfect, I will ask for another for grimparme the testicles".

Huh?  Ouch!

Anyway, Cara, these days you probably need to run that past a lawyer who will change one word to 500 in the hope that someone won't take you to the cleaners due to misinterpreting something.   Like the need for instructions on a packet of toothpicks.  🤨

cheers, Aus

10 hours ago, Ausman said:

I often use AliExpress and they always have funny/curious/way off English translations in reviews. But this one, whilst looking for a new set of wire terminal crimpers, took the cake!    "Perfect, I will ask for another for grimparme the testicles".

As the only native English speaker in our R&D department, I've heard some doozies--but that is definitely one for the annals!
For a number of years, the head of Support here was a guy who spoke 6 languages. English was his 5th, followed by Hebrew. Some of the constructions he would come up with in English would have me ROTFLMAO--the meaning would be clear, though, I must say. I'd see a thread of his that was clearly started by an Asian language speaker using a translation tool - but the beauty of it was that as engineers, they understood each other .