Visilogic V9.8.80 Failure on V350

I have been using V9.8.65 with a V350 for about 1 month now to convert from a V130 program.  I have had no issues.  I am currently using a Windows 10 PC.

Today, I decided to download V9.8.80 and update the OS on the V350.  During installation, I had multiple failures, including communication failures, during Step 1 and if Step 1 didn't fail, step 2 would fail.  This left the V350 bricked.  Also, it started beeping.  I didn't even know the V350 could beep.

I removed V9.8.80 from my PC and reinstalled V9.8.65.  I was able to reinstall the older OS into the V350.  The program on the PLC was corrupted and didn't function properly.  All the data tables were corrupted.  I was able to download the program onto the PLC from the PC, rebooted and the program functioned properly.

I am providing this information as feedback to Unitronics since I was able to get my V350 to work again.  The below information is the current state of the PLC under V9.8.65.

image.png.68035310b26c68e686159f3e77d5eed7.png

• MVP 2023

@Cara Bereck Levy should hopefully pick this up. 

Paul, my immediate ask would be did it run itself as admin automatically, and if not did you try it manually?  What was the connection type?

No doubt we'll hear from Flex saying "why update" and I generally agree with this, but in your case it probably seemed sensible!

cheers, Aus

Ausman,

I was using the same communications setup under V9.8.80 as V9.8.65, RS-232 at 57.6k from the serial port on the PC.  I have been doing this for 10 years with V130 PLCs and this is the first time I have ever experienced this.  The OS update was operated from the Communication & OS pop-up box,  just as I always have.

Still surprised by the beep, don't see it documented anywhere.

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, Ausman said:

No doubt we'll hear from Flex saying "why update" and I generally agree with this, but in your case it probably seemed sensible!

Not seeing the sensible reason here, but that doesn't mitigate the issue with the new software.

1 hour ago, Ausman said:

Paul, my immediate ask would be did it run itself as admin automatically, and if not did you try it manually? 

What Ausman is asking here is did you install VisiLogic "as Administrator" and did you run VisiLogic "as Administrator"?

The V350 RS232 baud rate I am using under V9.8.65 is 57600 bps.  I have had absolutely zero issues at that rate.  Since changing to the Windows 10 PC, I have not been able to download files from Visilogic to the PLC at 115200 bps.

I installed both V9.8.65 and V9.8.80 using "Run as Administrator".  I have done everything the same for both versions.

• MVP 2023
23 hours ago, Flex727 said:

Not seeing the sensible reason here

Mainly because Paul said he has been converting a program to the 350 for only a month.  So in some ways it is sensible to have the 350 working on the very latest version possible at the time.  It shouldn't have been the headache it was, which came back to bite him through doing something that he was well versed in.

For what it's worth, I have always had trouble talking to anything Vision at higher than 57600 on all of the various versions of Windoze I have in use.  In theory if the update now ONLY wants to run at 115200, and not shift itself back automatically to a lesser speed, then I consider that a potential problem.  Sounds like further testing needs to be done at HO to ensure that things work OK in the real world.

SB310 & 11 for the buzzer... I found this purely by loading up a 350 in Visi and perusing the System stuff.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, Ausman said:

Mainly because Paul said he has been converting a program to the 350 for only a month.  So in some ways it is sensible to have the 350 working on the very latest version possible at the time. 

Somehow that got past me. Yep, agree that it was warranted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023
1 hour ago, Paul Rylatt said:

What causes SB310 and SB311 to go high?  Is there any way to override this?

You change the value of those two System Bits in Ladder to perform the buzzer functions indicated in the description. They do not "go high" unless the software causes it.

• 4 weeks later...