Run-time error '3709'

John_R

Hey all,

I am running DataXport with 7 different PLC's (sites) in the project.
Each site has it's own schedule, and there are no overlapping times.

The PC that is running DataXport is a Win10 machine, and this is it's only function in life.
It sits under my workbench, and I occasionally check on it.
I have been running like this for quite some time with no issues except this;

Every now and again, this error will pop up and DataXport ceases to run (it is still open, but not doing anything).

image.png.8f8586191a77482bb469db371a52e7eb.png

When I click the OK button on the error message, DataXport closes and the error message goes away.
I restart DataXport and it comes up running like nothing happened.

Looking back at Call Log I find that the error does not correlate to any particular site, time, or day of week.

Does anyone know what Run-time error '3709' is supposed to be telling me?

Anyone else had this issue?

Oh, and it also happened from time to time back when I was running this on a Win7 machine.....

Regards,

JohnR

• MVP 2023

I Googled that error and it pops up all over as a database connection error coming from VB, which is what DataXport is written in.  It's probably intermittently having an error connecting to it's own internal database, which is almost Access but not quite.

Maybe one of the Creators can chime in.

Joe T.

A few days ago, I ran the Windows Update and it installed a few updates but I did not see this one (KB4512486) listed among them.

I went to the MS page about KB4512486 and tried to install from there but it said my system was up to date.

And again this morning, error 3709

any other ideas?

On 10/15/2019 at 5:42 PM, Joe Tauser said:

I Googled that error and it pops up all over as a database connection error coming from VB, which is what DataXport is written in.  It's probably intermittently having an error connecting to it's own internal database, which is almost Access but not quite.

I've googled it too, but it seem all the posts are older and not relevant to windows 10....

On 10/16/2019 at 3:35 AM, AlexUT said:

Hi JohnR,

Please check next Forum Topic:

It explains side effects of last Microsoft updates for applications, using VB.

May be this will help you to solve problem.

B.R.

And these fixes seem to point more to a VB error containing an "Invalid Procedure Call" rather than the  message I'm getting from this 3709 error...

Any other ideas out there guys?

JohnR

12 hours ago, Ausman said:

Does it do a save every time it does a read?  Or does it temporarily store it and then do a save?

In each Vision PLC, I take a reading every minute, which is saved to a Data Table.

DataXport then connects with each PLC at a given schedule, copies the Data Table, and saves to an Excel file on a shared network drive. (some of the PLC's are read only once or twice a day, others are read every 15 minutes as the end user of the data wants close to real time updates).

The end user of the data, reads the Excel file on a similar schedule (but not at the same minute) and puts it into fancy charts and graphs for every one to see.....

run time error 3709 says;

"The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either closed or invalid in this context."

I'm not sure if the connection in question is the connection from DataXport reading one of the PLC's, or from DataXport saving an Excel file to the network drive.

And of course, the error always seems to pop up when I'm out of the plant for a couple of days, and then I have to listen to the end users griping about missing information...

Which of course make me look like an incompetent boob having created such an unstable data collection process....:wacko:

JohnR

• MVP 2023
57 minutes ago, JohnR said:

end users griping about missing information..

Copy the table to a micro SD/TIF as well? 

58 minutes ago, JohnR said:

saves to an Excel file on a shared network drive.

Save locally first, then run a script to export them later.  It might just be the destination that is the issue, and if the write is only going there, you've got a problem.

cheers, Aus

1 hour ago, Ausman said:

It might just be the destination that is the issue

this is what I'm thinking, it happened every now and then when I was using Win7 and Office 2010 (installed locally), but the issue started happening more often when I upgraded to Win10 and Office 365 (cloud based).

I'm thinking that sometimes we are stepping on each other, that is, the end user program goes out and reads the Excel files 4 minutes after I start my read/write process and perhaps he is trying to open the newest Excel [NOT RESPONDING] file before I'm done writing it....😴

I changed the times on my schedule this morning to give a bigger gap between my write and his read, we'll see if that helps....

JohnR

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 5:42 PM, Joe Tauser said:

Anyone out there in Creatorland have any suggestions? Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

I am running ver 3.1.23 of DataXport which appears to be the latest, and it is the only app running on a fresh Windows 10 PC

I've tried adjusting my schedules, and how many sites I read from, and I tried writing to the local PC where DataXport is running, all with the same inconsistent issue.

JohnR

• 2 weeks later...

Good news,  I think....

Seems my computer received a big Windows Update late last week, and since then I have not had this error (mind you it had gotten to the point where it would pop up the error several times a day in the last week).

And the problem seems to have started the last time I had a big update.....

Time will tell....

JohnR

AAAAHHHHRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!

Went  a little over a week without an error, now suddenly I'm back to a couple times a day....

Win10 does not show any updates installed in the last two weeks....

Again I ask, am I the only one who is having this issue?

Maybe I'll try a different computer, perhaps there is a ghost in this machine.

JohnR

• MVP 2023

John, perhaps these, way left field but who knows. 

• Ensure that SB168 is on on all plcs.
  • I'm assuming that you have gpedit on your puter.  If it is W10 1903, open gpedit,  Computer Config/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options.  Scroll to UAC: Run all Admins in Admin Approval Mode and set it to Disabled.  Reboot a must.
  • Alternatively, try running the puter using the hidden Administrator logon and see how it goes.  If you don't know how to do this, here is one page that describes methods.  https://www.technipages.com/windows-administrator-account-login-screen     Ensure you turn it off once not needed.  Giving it a good password whilst you have it active is also a good idea anyway.

See how these go, I don't think they'll help but anything to "improve" connections within Windoze seems to be the needed answer.

cheers, Aus

• 3 weeks later...

Well, another couple of weeks of trial & error, and I'm still having this issue...

I set up another computer with a fresh install of Win10 (thinking maybe something was amiss with the previous computer).
DataXport ran for a day and a half before it popped up this same 3709 Runtime Error...

And the error still pops up almost daily, getting pretty frustrating.....

Anyone else have any ideas?

JohnR