Today's lighthearted relief...add yours as necessary.

Ausman

• MVP 2023

I recently gave a friend an IR temperature gauge to study the temperature of the hydraulics in the press. Here is a photo of the measurement result. I think that the temperature was probably a bit too high... :)

Then I had to completely redesign the control system using Unitronics PLC.

I was once again convinced that a metal control cabinet is one of the best solutions.

temperature_mesuring.thumb.JPG.c3bd0ca971de8ea547abe833e7b76777.JPGtemperature_mesuring2.thumb.JPG.077da0f06ab3277382c36a8f2702b9e9.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • MVP 2023

The police knocked on my door this morning.

"Do the letters H. G. mean anything to you?" they asked.

"No", I said.

"What about R. W. then?"

"No, doesn't mean anything either".

"How about E. Y.?"

"No.   What's this about?  Am I suspected of something?"

"No Sir," they said.  "These are just initial enquiries".

🙃

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

OK John.  but no.   The relevant bit in the cartoon is the bottom left cow being happy!  Perhaps if you have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oP8nhwv6rQ

it might point you in the right direction!

And whilst we're at it, here's a classic from Jimmy again about Aussie pronunciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJkkNx-yc0

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
On 10/21/2021 at 6:55 PM, John_R said:

I don't get it.....

It's important not to overthink this one. The doorbell prank is common among children (probably in most countries, not just the U.S.). This is just funny because it's a cow doing the doorbell prank. It's part of Gary Larson's frequent schtick in the Far Side cartoon of anthropomorphizing cows.

• MVP 2023

It all began with an iPhone...

June was when our son celebrated his birthday, and we got him an  iPhone.  He just loved it.  Who wouldn't?

I  celebrated my birthday in July, and my wife made me very happy when she bought me an iPad.

Our daughter's birthday was in August so we got her an iPod Touch.

My wife celebrated her birthday in September so I got her an  iRon.

It was  around then that the fight started....

What my wife failed to recognize is that the iRon can be  integrated into the home network with the iWash, iCook  and iClean.

This inevitably activates the iNag reminder service.

I should be out of the hospital next week!!

image.png.6e201157f1fa650b7f414f620dddce9c.png

iHurt

cheers, Aus

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2021 at 5:08 AM, Ausman said:

OK John.  but no.   The relevant bit in the cartoon is the bottom left cow being happy!  Perhaps if you have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oP8nhwv6rQ

it might point you in the right direction!

And whilst we're at it, here's a classic from Jimmy again about Aussie pronunciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJkkNx-yc0

cheers, Aus

I love Jimmy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

A neurologist was diagnosing a patient who lost his ability to do basic math.

"What’s 9 plus 9? 12. What’s 8 and 8? 10. The doctor shook his head. Very interesting. What about 6 times 5? The man thought for a second, and answered 1E. Aha, I’ve figured it out! The doctor said, "Somebody’s clearly put a hex on you".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I recently started re-arranging my home workshop (retirement is wonderful)...
And I run across things that haven't seen the light of day in decades...

I dug out this old (late 50's vintage) EICO VTVM, it was given to me by an old ham radio guy back in the early 80's.
I used it for a while back in my youth until I could afford something better.

I plugged it in and let the tubes warm up, then took some measurements comparing to my DMM, gross differences...

I got online and actually found a pdf copy of the user manual which included schematics and the calibration procedure.

In the manual I was surprised to find that while it was line powered, there was also a "flashlight battery" inside for the Ohms scale.

I opened the case expecting to find a corroded battery mess, but all was fine, and that old battery still read about 1V.

Eveready Super 99, "the battery that doesn't know when to quit", with a price mark of 35 cents...

vtvm.PNG

bat1.PNG

bat2.PNG

• Like 3

• MVP 2023

The device is in excellent condition.

An interesting discovery for me is the presence of two polarity reversal positions for the DC measurement mode.

In my ancient stock lies my first multimeter of this type, but to change the polarity I had to rearrange the measuring conductors.

P.S. It is interesting to check the condition of the battery in my device :)

• Like 1

• MVP 2023

Not really a piece of fun, and it doesn't use a Unitronics PLC, but it really doesn't matter for the bit of interest along the lines of John's meter (and mushroom cloud battery?).

A year ago I had another instance of idiots relocating an enclosure to a different area of a machine I built many years ago, and in doing so put swarf into the PLC guts and killed it.  It had worked fine all this time, some parts of it have done more than 130 million actions, whilst the motor is original and has done over 15 billion revs! At the time I went to some trouble to change everything as much as possible in the control gear to solid state.  Whilst easy these days, back then it was much harder.  Even to the point of getting into the PLC PCB and using the tracks to run external SSRs instead of the onboard relays, which were all that were available.

All these years I've carried a spare PLC for the job and it fitted in fine and things were going again.

On something this oddball, I thought it best to get another of the old PLCs to have in readiness.  I still felt it easiest and best to simply replace the PLC as needed with the same thing, instead of encountering a host of issues by replacing with something more modern.  After all, it worked perfectly....why change things?!  I eventually found a brand new unit sitting on someone's shelf via ebay, and got it.

On arrival tested it and everything seemed ok, except that the RTC didn't seem to working.  Hmmm.  That's odd...should be.  Checked the original manual done with charcoal on parchment scrolls, and found that a non-RTC unit had also been available at the time.   Only showed up through much closer looking at model name additional characters.

So I looked at the PCB and discovered a vacant spot.  Compared it to the blown unit and found that the missing chip was indeed a separate RTC.  Found that I was still able to source the chip, so did so.  It arrived and with trepidation I soldered it all up in the hope that the firmware wouldn't be different b/n RTC and non-RTC models.  Test time arrived and bingo!  All ok.

I was a little amazed that the firmware was the same b/n with and without.  It must have been arranged in such a way that it was only looking for something that wasn't there and didn't get upset that it wasn't, just couldn't display the info so didn't.  (Wouldn't Marvin be proud of that sentence!)

Some edited photos of the works.

cheers, Aus

RTC1.jpg.4d5cbf59d2be5c0191c393278c5992c4.jpg

RTC2.jpg.962a28da1a7592c10a6e7f0ae9c237fd.jpg

• Like 2