Today's lighthearted relief...add yours as necessary.

Ausman

• MVP 2023

Great job Aus! Epson RTC on board!

Even now, with a wide range of modern PLCs in some solution i must

1 hour ago, Ausman said:

.....using the tracks to run external SSRs instead of the onboard relays

One of my summer 2021 installation (retrofitting) with two V130-33-TR20 is slightly modified for high speed equipment.

IMG_20210617_093747.thumb.jpg.61df0ed6bba2a33e8d681514f83a934a.jpgIMG_20210617_161805.thumb.jpg.f2355280445dcea237e353ccbb7e56d8.jpg

>100000 operation per day on back folding clutch control.

The question arises why such a decision was applied. The answer is simple - only two identical PLCs with 3 HSC inputs were available from the supplier at that time. However, in this PLC it is impossible to quick control solid outputs. Therefore, the relay output has become "solid" in two new PLCs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

And here I was being dumb.  I always thought those wrenches were for ambidextrous people.  😊

I did think this a photoshop, but a goggles show they did exist and are perhaps still made.  It isn't such a bad idea if shifters are best for the job at hand.  A shifter head, instead of the normal end, would be much more comfortable on your hand for high torque use, and you could have vastly different sizes at the ready by changing ends. 

I have a large range of shifters, all best suited to a variety of jobs.  My biggest is almost a metre long, and is good for a laugh when I hide it behind my back and then show it to clients whilst quoting Croc Dundee....."Thiiisss is a shifter!"  

cheers, Aus

• 3 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

Spider drinks.  An Australian dictionary definition:

noun a drink consisting of flavoured aerated water to which ice-cream has been added, served in a tall glass. Compare ice-cream soda

Spiders have different names all over the world, but they are the same drink.

Well....I made a terrific one the other day.  Wanted another cup of tea, so went with my already used mug to the hot water, put in the tea bag and some sweetener, on with the boiling water, stir and add a bit of milk (cream for you yankees), let it cool a bit and down the hatch.  Yum.

Except for looking at the bottom of the cup as I did the final gulp.  Yep, there was a good size spider occupying the entire bottom of the cup.  How it got in there I don't know, but it was, I had brewed it, and then drunk everything as it didn't float at all.  It was, sadly, departed, likely boiled by the water.  I'm generally nice to spiders, we have lots of types where I live and they have their place in the world so I was a bit sad, but more amazed. I couldn't fathom how it had clambered into my cup without me noticing.  And the tea bag came out of sealed container, too, so spidey must have wandered into the cup at some stage after the previous cuppa an hour ago, or perhaps gone into the kettle  in search of a drink.

There hadn't been any odd taste, but I've been patiently waiting, flinging my arms about trying to spray webs out of my fingers and wrists, but alas it hasn't happened yet.  And even though lots of things in my life make me want to climb walls, it hasn't helped in this regard either.  A few more eyes in my head would be useful as well.  I don't think I'll go for the red suit, though.     

cheers, Aus  spidey2.jpg.cd0e548f1a4b1f8efcc1526289c23f83.jpg 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And oops!!
I deleted the post @Flex727responded to, while trying to edit it.

So, the original post asked if people here read science fiction, and if anyone knew the story The Machine Stops, by E.M. Forster, a story written before the Golden Age of SF.
As I posted above, the story can be found here: https://www.classicly.com/bibi/pre.html?book=732.epub/
I first encountered it in an anthology.

• 4 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

I'll interrupt my picture roll and let you laugh at my expense.  It's been a while since I wrote about Gremlins in my life.

Went only 3kms to a local site for a quick job totally unrelated to PLCs.  Did the mechanical work, packed up and headed home.  As I was only going a little way I didn't put my mobile phone into the normal holder, just on the passenger seat in my van.  My last turn I had to do a sharp brake as a cocky (sulfur-crested cockatoo, if you want to look up why I needed to avoid it and how much fun they are anyway!)  did a bit of a swoop in front of me. 

Got home and couldn't find my phone.  "I'm sure I put it in when I packed up!"  Search, search, on the floor from the braking? Pick up the workbag, overalls and boots to check.  Nup.  Not there.  Nowhere. 

Maybe I didn't pack it, and left it at the site?  Just dreaming I put it in?  Ohhh jeepers, it's Friday and they were closing after I left.  Better get back to the site before they do, as I'll be in real trouble without it for the weekend.

So I get back to the site in the nick of time, they're just shutting the doors.  Hunt around but it's not there either.  Time for someone to ring it for me.  (I'm one of those sensible people that doesn't have goggles tracking my every move.....GPS is off.)

Ring ring.  ☎️

Ring ring.  ☎️

IT'S IN THE VAN.     Where is the damn thing?  Eventually followed the sound to the work boots sitting in the footwell.  There nestled up at the toe end of one boot, totally invisible and not easily dislodged, was the devil that sent me nuts.  Shake it out?  NO.   STUCK at the toe end and I ALSO needed to stretch the ankle elastic quite a bit to make enough room to get it out. 

So it fell off the seat during the braking, perfectly aimed and aligned for a "nothing-but-net" entry into the ankle hole of my boot, with enough momentum to push the elastic aside AND nestle itself as far down the toe end as it could.  AND jam it there.  GO FIGURE.

I know, I know, I should have raced inside when I first got home to ring it, but the over-riding thought was it being locked for 2 days in premises that weren't mine!

But honestly, impossibly bury itself all the way to the end of my workboot so that it didn't even move when I shook the boot?   Fair Dinkum! 

"Tee Hee Hee....what will we do to him next?  Tee Hee"