Visilogic IDE slow to operate

• External Moderators

Hi guys,

Trying to set up a 1210 screen on my Acer netbook. Now, my trusty little Acer is not a bad computer - I'm running an Intel Atom N270 CPU at 1.6 Ghz, with 1.48 Gb ram. It's got Windows XP SP3, all the latest updates, and I keep my hard drive and registry scrubbed regularly with CCleaner.

Nonetheless, Visilogic is running sloooooooow. I've noticed in the past it was a bit laggy (took a second or two for pop-ups to open and so on) when trying to program a 570, but the delay was tolerable, if not ideal. But the 1210 is, in fact, intolerable. The delay drags on for 5-10 seconds simply trying to select an object on the HMI screen.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I tend to doubt that it's the hardware specs, given I can run Autocad on it without issues, and that's the most resource-devouring software I can think of. I tried disabling my anti-virus, but it made no difference.

Thanks,

TM

Hi guys,

Trying to set up a 1210 screen on my Acer netbook. Now, my trusty little Acer is not a bad computer - I'm running an Intel Atom N270 CPU at 1.6 Ghz, with 1.48 Gb ram. It's got Windows XP SP3, all the latest updates, and I keep my hard drive and registry scrubbed regularly with CCleaner.

Nonetheless, Visilogic is running sloooooooow. I've noticed in the past it was a bit laggy (took a second or two for pop-ups to open and so on) when trying to program a 570, but the delay was tolerable, if not ideal. But the 1210 is, in fact, intolerable. The delay drags on for 5-10 seconds simply trying to select an object on the HMI screen.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I tend to doubt that it's the hardware specs, given I can run Autocad on it without issues, and that's the most resource-devouring software I can think of. I tried disabling my anti-virus, but it made no difference.

Thanks,

TM

This sounds eerily similar to the effects I was experiencing (post "Visi 9.3 Slow"), only for me it was acting this way no matter what unit I selected.

It did eventually start to act better, oddly enough without any intervention from me.

• External Moderators

So with my netbook reacting so slowly, I conscripted my wife's new laptop and started about setting up shop with it.

It's a compaq presario CQ56 with a 2.6 Ghz processor. I cranked the ram up to 5 gig and installed linux mint 11, then added VMware Player and created a Windows XP virtual machine with 2.5 gig of memory assigned.

After installing my various software, I fired up Visilogic 930 and it runs perfectly. This is particularly interesting, since a VM is traditionally poorer performance than a native install, but regardless, it does look like the problem lay in my computer, not the software.

Thanks!

TM

• 3 months later...

Visilogic under windows 7 has now slowed to such an immense crawl that it is uterly unusable.

I can click on "save" and literally wait over two minutes before the window will pop up to ask me for a file name.

I can click on "download" and it will literally be 5+ minutes before it actually starts downloading.

Uninstalling and Installing 9.3.1 had no effect, or it may actually be worse.

I can't be the only one experiencing this can I? The PC I am using is a beast, so there is not reason for ill performance. There is some kind of conflict going on here.

• MVP 2023

You guys have really got my thinking about this virtual machine stuff- I've been using XP only for so long that I haven't had to try it yet. I did enjoy reading Tim's blog on Linux Mint.

I'm going to try setting up a Win98SE virtual machine so I can dig out my old copy of "Redneck Rampage" and play it on the Mancave computer.

Joe T.