I have a data table that collects date-time-shift time-machine run time-PO number-lbs loaded  into that PO number.  We want to input employee name into the table. Planning to put a barcode on the employee's ID.  I have a Quantum IS3480 barcode scanner connected to port 2 and I can display the barcode info on the screen. It scans to start of vector MI350 (raw scan 1 of 50) and it set to 30 characters. How do I plug this info into my table?

• MVP 2023

To me the easiest thing to do, and also make it easy to read later, would be to have internal processing (likely using another data table) of the employee barcode so that it ends up as Employee "X", be it a much simpler number or a name.  This is then much easier to add into the table in the first place.  Of course, this method depends on how many employees there are.  Up to hundreds?  Not so bad.  Thousands?  Getting awkward!  40?  Piece of cake.  All done through one screen that scans the number and then lets editing happen to the name, with admin  password restriction in place.

Whenever generating logs I always look at ease of use later, but also keeping the data as simple as possible.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

You do know you can set a data table column as a string type, don't you?  Then it's just a matter of specifying MI 350 in your Data Table write row block.  The block will take care of the vector length.

I've done a very similar application, but I put the employee IDs in one table and then had them log in at the beginning of the shift and searching the table for their user level.  I copied that to a buffer and stamped that ID along with other pertinent data on the into production table.  Upload your program so we can have a look, or PM me if you don't want to share.

Joe T.

• Like 1