Samba to Alphanumeric display through Modbus Rs485

Hello everyone,

I have a Samba SM43-J-T20 and want to know if it is possible to connect it anyway to a Alphanumeric display  that support Modbus with RS485.

my goal is to send a timer value to this display.

it would be great if you have any idea of how and could share it with me.

Thanks in advance.

• MVP 2023

Hi,

please post what information you whant to see on display.

Something like  20:59:01 or other format.

What refresh time needed?

4 hours ago, alighz said:

This one has big LED matrix but it is impossible to download any information about used RS485 protocol. Serial # of offered product needed.

4 hours ago, alighz said:

This one offer manual with protocol but only Italiano lenguage present.

Maybe it is possible to program second one via Samba.

If you have manual about protocol for first one - plese post to topic.

• Like 1

• MVP 2023

As I was finishing this reply, Kratmel's popped up.  I haven't read it yet, so will simply allow them both.

The first display is perhaps using a proprietary method of communication as it says that it can "combine with indicator".  It might be using standard 485 methods, but who knows.  The links on their page to get manuals does not work.

The second one, the RIP100 is perhaps a better bet.  It says "ASCII + programmable custom protocols".  The links on their page do work, but I sadly do not speak Italian.  But it would appear that there are detailed descriptions on how to communicate to the unit under serial comms. 

The Samba you possess  does not have the required comms port on board....I think.  Over to Kratmel.

cheers, Aus

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kratmel said:

Something like  20:59:01 or other format.

I want to show just the timer, Seconds in reverse. from 30 S to 0  and at the end a Short text message on display.

and refresh time ideally is 1 second.

I think i can find a manual about the first one, because I've seen this device communicate with serial Rs485 with PC and totally separate application from the founder.

I will share it here.

how about module. what module do i need and how can i install it on SM43-J-T20. I haven't seen useful thing in user manual.

best regards

15 minutes ago, Ausman said:

As I was finishing this reply, Kratmel's popped up.  I haven't read it yet, so will simply allow them both.

The first display is perhaps using a proprietary method of communication as it says that it can "combine with indicator".  It might be using standard 485 methods, but who knows.  The links on their page to get manuals does not work.

The second one, the RIP100 is perhaps a better bet.  It says "ASCII + programmable custom protocols".  The links on their page do work, but I sadly do not speak Italian.  But it would appear that there are detailed descriptions on how to communicate to the unit under serial comms. 

The Samba you possess  does not have the required comms port on board....I think.  Over to Kratmel.

cheers, Aus

Thank you for your reply. I will go with second one. seems you both agreed on it :)

can i add that comm port module to this samba ? I have no idea about expansion or I/O module with Unitronics plcs.

best regards

• MVP 2023
47 minutes ago, Ausman said:

Samba you possess  does not have the required comms port on board....I think.

Yes Aus, Samba do not have RS485 on board, but in second display  manual we can see 15m cable via RS232 connection possible.

For bigger distance RS485 (V100-17-RS4X)  isolated card recommened to install inside Samba.