RS232 and Protocol Copy Buffer issue

Hey all,  I am able to send data to my machine via a simulated RS232 data stream.  I can successfully use the COPY BUFFER FB to a MI vector but any other operand is failing.  Ideally I would like to write my buffer to a set of MLs.

The below logic works on any MI. Anything else and it will not copy over.  I can still see the data coming into the PLC (V700) in  info mode (Serial>Monitor).  Is this a known issue where we have to use MI or is there a trick?

image.png.89b09db2c4bc20a067fecdc6b5d0f249.png

Hi;

Net 3   -- Protocol Scan

Why are you using the 1 second pulse to scan?   This means your program only runs this every second for 1 scan cycle.

Data can show up anytime!

Remove the 1 Second Pulse and let it run free and collect the data as it comes.  

Consider using the session complete  MB4001  to copy data to the   COPY BUFFER  in a new net

DanT

• MVP 2023

So Mal, you are saying that although you can select ML in the copy to buffer popup, it doesn't happen and only can be done on MIs? 

Aside from Dan's comments, have you tried other operands available there to see if they work?  In the past I have had other operands that don't work even though they are able to be selected in varied popups...I can't name specifics, just worked around it at the time after giving up, so maybe this is the case here.

And Dan, as this is a send, does that not change your comment?  Edit... see more comment below.

cheers, Aus

Hi;

Your code does not show the setup for the Protocol Scan -- How the data is structured to receive

For FB  Protocol Scan setup,  refer to an example in    Help    Examples  :

Help  Examples   Version 900    Projects      Communications   FB Protocol    V130_Receive _4_Numbers

There is also an example for  FB  Protocol Send  (  to send data to another device)   in the same examples folder.

DanT

• MVP 2023

Dan politely pointed out to me via messaging that it is Scan in use.  I had only read Mal's written stuff, and hadn't really looked at the ladderwork.  Specifically....."I am able to send data to my machine" which had me thinking that it was all related to sending.  My main focus was on the ML not working, as I have had the same sort of thing happen elsewhere.

So apologies to Dan,   and Mal...how did it all end up?

cheers, Aus

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 5:30 PM, Ausman said:

Dan politely pointed out to me via messaging that it is Scan in use.  I had only read Mal's written stuff, and hadn't really looked at the ladderwork.  Specifically....."I am able to send data to my machine" which had me thinking that it was all related to sending.  My main focus was on the ML not working, as I have had the same sort of thing happen elsewhere.

So apologies to Dan,   and Mal...how did it all end up?

cheers, Aus

Everything turned out great!  Sorry for the late response.  I was able to get it working but only if I saved the buffer to MI's.  From there I used a struct to turn the buffer into a more usable object.