Hebrew Keypad & User inserted name parameter

Hey,

I want to allow the user to enter his own "Program Name" for a program that he will "Tune" himself.
The product/program can be whatever he likes so he has to use a keypad, and I can't write the options in advance.
I've attached a general screenshot of the main display for reference, using Samba 4.3.

1. My first question is :
How can I switch to an Hebrew Keypad ? Or any other language for that matter ?

2. What is the correct feature to display it in the HMI screen ?
Up until now I had "fixed" programs that I wrote the title for them in the programming stage,  directly into the "Variable: List of text", then assigned them a number (like in the attached pic).
when you are typing directly into Visilogic like that, Hebrew is not an issue, you just write it directly and if the font is supporting it, it will show normally.

But, when the user has to insert the title, it seems that there's no option to use it (??)
I reckon I need to use the "Variable: ASCII String" feature.
Any other method I missed ?

If it is indeed the ASCII String feature, I will appreciate any guidance on using this feature with non English letters (there are ASCII codes in Hebrew, the letters are decimal 224-250)
The examples are filled with scary  🙃 vector and string functions that are a bit hard to digest for the beginner programmer…

Thank you for your help.
Yam

123.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1.      got it.
hint : you can use a modified version of the "V280_Text_enter" example to suit your needs.

the only limitation of it is that you have to write your Hebrew backwards, since it works left to right and Hebrew is right to left.
not a big deal if you need to enter a word or two.
unitronics support…you should know these kind of tricks.

2. If someone can elaborate on the "transpose" function, it would be great.
    I read the help file about it, got the general idea, but it is still unclear.

3 hours ago, yyh2 said:

1.      got it.
hint : you can use a modified version of the "V280_Text_enter" example to suit your needs.

the only limitation of it is that you have to write your Hebrew backwards, since it works left to right and Hebrew is right to left.
not a big deal if you need to enter a word or two.
unitronics support…you should know these kind of tricks.

2. If someone can elaborate on the "transpose" function, it would be great.
    I read the help file about it, got the general idea, but it is still unclear.

I don't know why it is called "transpose" but is actually a "compression", that is useful if you store characters on MI's

i.e, 1 ascii char is 8 bits in size, each MI has 16 bits, so if you store 1 Character per MI then you have 1 byte occupied, and 1 byte wasted, "transpose" extracts only the "used" bytes and combines them, so you basically store 2 characters per MI instead of only one. 

• Like 1