Max Connection time

Kieran B

Hi I am using this software for a company to keep tabs on a remote PLC we have just had the issue where someone has left there computer connected on remote operator and so no one else can check on it, also used a bit of data,

Is it possible to have a maximum connection time either in the Remote program or something I could add at the PLC end?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Kieran

There isn't such a feature in remote operator. My best idea of doing it with ladder would be:

On each scan check the status of the socket that is used for connecting to the PLC.

Also have another operand that saves the status on the previous scan.

If old status was not "Connected" and new status is "Connected", then save the current time (UTC) in another operand.

If old status and new status are both "Connected" and current time - saved connection time is equals or greater than, for example 30 minutes, then close the connection.

On the end of each cycle, set old status = new status

When closing the connection, you should close it for enough time for remote operator to fail (It has retries and timeout)

There isn't such a feature in remote operator. My best idea of doing it with ladder would be:

On each scan check the status of the socket that is used for connecting to the PLC.

Also have another operand that saves the status on the previous scan.

If old status was not "Connected" and new status is "Connected", then save the current time (UTC) in another operand.

If old status and new status are both "Connected" and current time - saved connection time is equals or greater than, for example 30 minutes, then close the connection.

On the end of each cycle, set old status = new status

When closing the connection, you should close it for enough time for remote operator to fail (It has retries and timeout)

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking down the same path so used the TCP close port option, after a delay had been reached using condition of SB148 socket connected status bit, then kept it closed for 30 seconds I could see in the ladder the socket was closed but remote operator was still working.

Maybe I need to wait longer for the time out?

I have attached the file I was testing with

remote operator test file.vlp