Linking Red Lion G310 to V350 Communications Issue

Dear Forum,

I have an existing RedLion G310 HMI display that is currently connected to a V120. Communication is via Modbus RTU.

I am in the process of replacing the V120 with a V350 so I can expand my Ladder program.

Unfortunately for me the Mosbus Slave addressing in the V350 is now different to the standard vision and is Hex based. This now means if I want to read say, ML's I have to enter a very high Modbus address, which exceeds the "Max enrty value" of 465535 in the Redlion HMI. Which gives me a problem.

I do however have another protocol option. The newer version of Crimson software (Redlion HMI programming environment) support "Unitronics" in the form of:

Unitronics PCOM ASCII Master (serial)

or

Unitronics PCOM ASCII TCP/IP Master

My V350 has an ethernet port installed and I have tried to communicate using the Unitronics supported TCP/IP protocol rather than Modbus TCP/IP...... but without any sucess!

My settings in the HMI for communiaction to V350, are as follows:

V350 IP address: 192.168.100.1

Port: 20256

Unit number: 1

Link type: use dedicated socket

ICMP ping: disabled

connection timeout: 5000ms

transaction timeout: 2500ms

Is there anything I need to set up in the V350 apart from the IP address: Any special FB's? do I need to set the same port number (20256) somewhere in the V350? different port number?

Any help or advise would be greatly appriciated.

Justin

The Modbus spec (www.modbus.org) requires that register addressing be from 0-65535, and the Modbus application layer protocol only allows two bytes for the address for a max addressable register of 0xFFF or 65535 in protocol. So if Unitronics demands higher values than this, then it really isn't Modbus because it would clearly break the specification.

I checked slave addressing in the help file and see the MLs are available starting at index 0x7000, which is 28762 (decimal). Therefore, Unitronics appears to be complaint to the addressing requirements of Modbus. So what are you entering in the G3series exactly, and for which registers? I use Redlion and Unitronics products all the time and never have any trouble with Modbus, with either device acting as Master or Slave (over Ethernet).

Hi,

If you wish to use Ethernet it seems you will need to choose in the Red Lionthe protocol Unitronics PCOM ASCII TCP/IP Master.

The V350 basically can stay with the default socket settings.

PCOM is the default protocol of the ports and if the Red Lion supports it then you dont need to change anything.

Of course you need to remove the MODBUS from this socket.

You can set an application which has only --|SB2|-- TCP/IP card INIT -- PLC Name.

Then the Red Lion should connect to the IP address of the PLC and port number 20256. (It can be also port 20257 or 502)

Check with the Red Lion supplier which other settings you should set for communication.

Thanks guys for your replies....

I realised my mistake with regard to calculating the ML modbus address for enhanced vision. Makes sence now - thanks Bill.

I will opt for the Unitronics PCOM protocal anyway, it's a lot easier and quicker to work with given I have over 1000+ tags in my HMI database. - thanks Ofir.

One more question....

If I want to connect my HMI on TCP/IP say on port 20257, does that mean port 20256 will be free for going online via Visilogic over TCP/IP?

• 6 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 5:16 PM, Hal9000 said:

Dear Forum,

I have an existing RedLion G310 HMI display that is currently connected to a V120. Communication is via Modbus RTU.

I am in the process of replacing the V120 with a V350 so I can expand my Ladder program.

Unfortunately for me the Mosbus Slave addressing in the V350 is now different to the standard vision and is Hex based. This now means if I want to read say, ML's I have to enter a very high Modbus address, which exceeds the "Max enrty value" of 465535 in the Redlion HMI. Which gives me a problem.

I do however have another protocol option. The newer version of Crimson software (Redlion HMI programming environment) support "Unitronics" in the form of:

Unitronics PCOM ASCII Master (serial)

or

Unitronics PCOM ASCII TCP/IP Master

My V350 has an ethernet port installed and I have tried to communicate using the Unitronics supported TCP/IP protocol rather than Modbus TCP/IP...... but without any sucess!

My settings in the HMI for communiaction to V350, are as follows:

V350 IP address: 192.168.100.1

Port: 20256

Unit number: 1

Link type: use dedicated socket

ICMP ping: disabled

connection timeout: 5000ms

transaction timeout: 2500ms

Is there anything I need to set up in the V350 apart from the IP address: Any special FB's? do I need to set the same port number (20256) somewhere in the V350? different port number?

Any help or advise would be greatly appriciated.

Justin

Hello Hal9000

I have a problem, I want to communicate the unitronics V350 with a red lion device, in particular the G07 through the communication protocol MODBUS TCP / IP. I see you had a similar problem.

We have already reviewed the parameters you mentioned and they are the same.

Could you help me with some information please?

Thank you so much!