Hi,

Have a project where i will be placing the V1040 in a Ex Proof Panel, the IOs, both discrete & analog will be in a cabinet mounted in a safe normal area, The physical locations of the sensors are in a Ex Proof Area (Zone 2). I will be using a RC1 for the Expansions. Each IO will be intefaced thru Intrinsic Barriers. What steps do I need to take for the CAN communication?

Pl point out if I may have possibly overlooked any issue.

Thanks

Lawry

Hi Lawry,

Connecting the EX-RC1 module can be completed in a few simple steps. We will use a struct to collect all of the information from the expansion modules. The applicaion will already be contained within the EXRC1 unit you will just need to modify it to your specific system requirements. This data is collected, compared and is then sent to the master PLC with Unican. We have an excellent webinar that defines the process and steps needed to configure the communication.

http://www.unitronics.com/support/webinars/canbus-unican

Thanks Michael,

I have used RC1 and am aware as to how it should be utilised. The jist of my question may not have been clear. I apologise for that.

What I need to know is that normally in a Hazardous area, the voltage allowed is around 8.2V max, whereas since i am going to mount the V1040 in an ex proof enclosure, which will be situated in this hazardous area, i will have to provide either a 12 V or 24 V for the V1040 and a separate 24 V for the CANbus. This is over the allowable limit. Is there any way in which I can achieve this?

Lawry

Hi Lawry,

Sorry for the misinterpretation, I clearly see the condition you have presented with. The EX-RC1 will support the 12V power supply, The CANbus communication is required to be a 24V connection. You will need to check with the AHJ in your region for recommended practices, as we will not be able to step down voltage. It may be possible to run the system within explosion proof conduit that will meet their requirements.