Sending string with modbus

wasikhetmaar

Hello,

I'm working with two different machines, one machine contains a DTI with a name (string) as key value and a few numbers (int). The other works with data that it gets from the first machine.

To select a row from the DTI, I would like to view the name of each row of the DTI on the second machine. To do so I will need to send all the names in order to the second machine. How can I achieve this? I communicate through modbus, but strings doesn't seem possible to send, so any other suggestions?

in short: How do I send a DTI with one row of Strings (or an array with strings) to another machine?

Hello,

Unfortunately with Modbus, you are unable to send strings directly.  You must transfer them as 16-bit integers.

Under the "Buffer Tools" in the ladder programming, choose the "Copy Tag to Buffer" option and copy you string to a buffer.  Then choose the "Copy Buffer to Tag" in the same drop down menu of the tools to transfer the buffer we created into an array of 16-bit integers.  You can then use this array to send in the Modbus command.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1