Data logging Temperature throughout the day to a server address

gsd

So I've set up a thermo-couple function to display temperatures of process ovens on my HMI.  I have a 15" HMI Panel/PLC with 3 UIS-08TC temperature modules.  

Now i'd like to collect that temperature data throughout the day say every 10 or 30 minutes , store it as a CSV file and place it onto my facilities local server every night or so. 

Can someone give me an overview of whats required to do this?  I've watched the youtube tutorial on the Unitronics page about data sampling but i'm still not clear about how i can have the temperatures being recorded periodically and saved as a CSV file onto my facilities server. 

I'm going to keep doing some reading, just hoping to see if i can get a plan view of the steps needed to make this happen?  

Thank you!

17 hours ago, Joe Tauser said:

Enable the FTP server on the UniStream.  Then you can put a script on your server to retrieve it.

Joe T.

Should my UniStream be set up as a Client or the Server? Really basic questions probably i'm sure but this is my first time attempting anything like this.  

• MVP 2023

Server - it's the one "serving up" the files.  Setting it up is under PLC Communications->Protocols->FTP->FTP Servers.

I think you can probably handle it from there.  To test it, put an ftp program on your PC like FileZilla and log into the UniStream to see all your files.

Your IT guy should be able to handle getting the files off it.  Unless you're the IT guy, then that's another topic.

Joe T.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, Joe Tauser said:

Server - it's the one "serving up" the files.  Setting it up is under PLC Communications->Protocols->FTP->FTP Servers.

I think you can probably handle it from there.  To test it, put an ftp program on your PC like FileZilla and log into the UniStream to see all your files.

Your IT guy should be able to handle getting the files off it.  Unless you're the IT guy, then that's another topic.

Joe T.

Thanks Joe!  I am not the IT guy thankfully 😅  We have installed Filezilla on my PC so i'll be trialing the communication soon.

So if I've got ~ 20 thermocouples that i'm wanting to have the PLC record the readings every 5 min and then dump onto my facilities network every 24 hours.  Do i need to build a ladder program with a timer instruction that will tell it when to send data to the facility (client)?? 

In the Data sample struct for the data set I've created, I see tags for starting and stopping sampling and creating a csv file.  Is it as simple as putting in a 24 hr wait time instruction before it stops sampling and triggering the "create csv" bit?

• MVP 2023

Yes on the 24 hr time trigger.

The facility (client) must ask for the data.  This is the script your IT guy must do on whatever interval you want.  Handshaking and triggering the transfer needs to be figured out between you two - maybe write a small file on the SD card when it's ready that he polls your server and looks for.  He can delete it after he's read it.  But this is a matter for your guy to decide - my experience with IT is you can't tell them anything about their job if you're not one of them.

Feel free to post your program if you start getting into specific questions.  It greatly improves the answer accuracy.

Joe T.

I've had better luck (actually getting something done with IT) having IT setup an FTP Server on the network and giving me a client username and password.  I then setup the client on the unistream and FTP send to send the CSV on my end.  This way works better for me because then I can add a bunch of machines and don't have to have IT involved because I re-use the username and password.