Thermocouple with module converter on SAMBA PLC

Hello everyone,

I am using a SAMBA SM43-J-R20. I have a question about thermocouples. I believe it is possible to receive the required bits by getting a module converter so the values are in 4-20 V or 0-10 volts. Would the wiring be the same as a SAMBA T22?  Would it work the same as other PLCS where I would not need to linearize the data or would I have to program it so it does? And if I am required to linearize, how would the linearization work? I have tried to read into the manual but I cannot find useful information on which pins to use or if I have to change the jumper position.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you. 

• MVP 2023

I recommend consulting the documentation that came with your PLC. I've attached a snippet below for the analog input wiring. If you are converting a T/C signal to 4-20mA (or 0-10V), you will need to linearize the input to temperature. Linearization is a basic function block available in ladder, or can be used directly on the HMI display if all you're doing is displaying temperature. You will need to know the bit resolution of your analog input. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think the Samba provides a choice of Normal (14-bit) or Fast Mode (12-bit).

Also, be sure your jumpers are set correctly and if you have digital inputs, I believe they must be wired PNP. As I said, read the Installation Guide that came with your PLC - it can also be found online at unitronics.com.

image.png.3ae8dcaadf812fc291652aa93d02dbe0.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flex727 said:

I recommend consulting the documentation that came with your PLC. I've attached a snippet below for the analog input wiring. If you are converting a T/C signal to 4-20mA (or 0-10V), you will need to linearize the input to temperature. Linearization is a basic function block available in ladder, or can be used directly on the HMI display if all you're doing is displaying temperature. You will need to know the bit resolution of your analog input. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think the Samba provides a choice of Normal (14-bit) or Fast Mode (12-bit).

Also, be sure your jumpers are set correctly and if you have digital inputs, I believe they must be wired PNP. As I said, read the Installation Guide that came with your PLC - it can also be found online at unitronics.com.

image.png.3ae8dcaadf812fc291652aa93d02dbe0.png

Very informational. 

Thank you very much!  I will look into it. 

Thanks again.