Bad Ethernet Cable Causes I/O Modules to Turn On and Off Rapidly

wemar

We are having trouble with our I/O modules. Now and then they will have a fit where all the inputs and outputs will turn on and off rapidly. We have three modules connected together. They are a UID-W1616R_0, a UIS-WCB1_1, and a UIA-0800N_2. Also, the WCB1 has a red light for one of the analog inputs. If I understand which connection the light is for, there is nothing connected to it. Do you have any idea what we could do to fix the problem.

• MVP 2023

Please specify what your configuration is.

Is this a new configuration with new modules that failed to start?

Are these used modules? Is it power supply in working condition and all needed power wires connected? 

If the configuration is new, then you should read this document regarding the changes required in the PLC firmware in order for the new modules to work (Uni-IO: Firmware Update).

https://downloads.unitronicsplc.com/Sites/plc/Unilogic/UniLogic 1.33.373 June 2023.pdf

If this does not help, please contact

support@unitronics.com

This is not a new configuration. The panel is a US7-B10-B1. As far as I know the power supply is working properly and everything is wired right. Generally everything works just fine, but sometimes all the outputs that are being used turn on and off rapidly and the analog and temperature inputs on the WCB1 read a negative number. The modules were not used when we  installed them.

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, wemar said:

all the outputs that are being used turn on and off rapidly and the analog and temperature inputs on the WCB1 read a negative number.

Please check outputs wire and all device connected to outputs for short cirquit.

It looks like some output on and it overloaded. At this time all modules power voltage is go to low value and it looks like  turn on and off rapidly.

You can test (activate) all output separately and find one that is shorted or overloaded.

I think that we have found the problem. This plc also has remote I/O modules. I probably should have specified that, but I didn't because those modules were working fine. For the remote I/O we had a fiber optic cable with an adapter and ethernet cable that plugged into the network switch. This cable seemed to be what was causing the problem. If it was wiggled just so the I/O modules would turn on and off rapidly. We replaced the cable and now everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your input, Kratmel.