Question about Visilogic coding operation

Ok, I've been hacking away for a year or so with Visilogic and there is one thing that I've always wonder what others do to get around it. That is, how does one reference a prior code instance, example or routine since Visilogic is not re-enterent  nor allows for multiple windows?  I always find myself saving what I'm working on and having to open the reference code. I have resorted to having a second machine running just so I can look at a prior routine.

What trick am I missing?  It shouldn't be this cumbersome. 

Hello,

You can copy and then paste (in the same folder) the "Unitronics VisiLogic_C" folder in the C:/Program Files (x86)/Unitronics folder directory.  It should paste as "Unitronics VisiLogic_C - Copy".  Enter into this folder, then into the main folder, and run the VisiLogic.exe file.  This will be your "second" VisiLogic, however there is no way to differentiate the two when they are running, so be aware which one you have open at all times.

Here in the office, I like to pin the propgrams to my task bar in the order they are, so I know which VisiLogic is the original and which is the copy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that does help.  I tried it and I can have one copy on on one monitor for reference and another monitor for live code. The only thing that is unfortunate is, Visilogic does not use shared Windows memory for cut/paste.  Any chance that you folks are going to change your IDE to do this at some time?

Thanks again for the quick comments.

• MVP 2023

The only thing that is unfortunate is, Visilogic does not use shared Windows memory for cut/paste.

HI MWD,

I agree with your comments about this cut/paste problem.  Not the solution you are looking for, but the workaround I do is to use export/import subroutine, in Project, with the 2nd instance open.  The two instances happily refer to the same location you use for the export/import.  For me it is always a tossup as to how much effort is involved in editing the sub pasted in, as against writing it from scratch or altering existing.

An alternative thing I do in this situation is to do a print of the other program as a pdf, and keep that open to refer to when writing the changes into the new file.

If the change to the program can be made by the "team" it would be great.

cheers,

Aus

Thanks that does help.  I tried it and I can have one copy on on one monitor for reference and another monitor for live code. The only thing that is unfortunate is, Visilogic does not use shared Windows memory for cut/paste.  Any chance that you folks are going to change your IDE to do this at some time?

Thanks again for the quick comments.

Currently, there are no plans to update VisiLogic for this feature.  The option for cutting and pasting code between projects is as Aus has stated above.  Export a subroutine from one project and then import the project into your current application, then you may copy and paste the code into the current program.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

You can copy and then paste (in the same folder) the "Unitronics VisiLogic_C" folder in the C:/Program Files (x86)/Unitronics folder directory.  It should paste as "Unitronics VisiLogic_C - Copy".  Enter into this folder, then into the main folder, and run the VisiLogic.exe file.  This will be your "second" VisiLogic, however there is no way to differentiate the two when they are running, so be aware which one you have open at all times.

Here in the office, I like to pin the propgrams to my task bar in the order they are, so I know which VisiLogic is the original and which is the copy.

Hope this helps.

I just tried this but I get an error message "Application Error-if this problem continues, contact your distributor". The original works, the one in the copy folder does not.

This is Visilogic version 9.8.2 build 0, on Windows 8.1. Any thoughts?

• MVP 2023

HI BM,

I have not moved up to 9.8.2 yet as I don't need to.  My systems work fine doing this procedure on Win 7, running 9.7.55 build 0.  Perhaps something has changed in the later builds?  But try some other things.

Basics first, and apologies if that sounds insulting.  At the end of the copy/paste you should have the entire VisiLogic_C copy as a folder under the main Unitronics folder.  Other folders visible here are Data, Examples, Help etc.

Next, I'd check the old nag of mine....make sure everything has been installed with, and is being run as, Administrator.  If you didn't do the original 9.8.2 install like that, maybe that's the issue.  If you did, then try installing 9.7.55 and see if you get the same result.  If so, then it might be a Win 8 peculiarity and I don't know the answer that might just be a registry tweak somewhere. I am sure that Win8's run as Admin is just the same easy right click operation, or permanent setting in properties, as Win 7.

Hope it helps,

cheers,

Aus

I just tried this but I get an error message "Application Error-if this problem continues, contact your distributor". The original works, the one in the copy folder does not.

This is Visilogic version 9.8.2 build 0, on Windows 8.1. Any thoughts?

Hello,

If you are still having issues with your VisiLogic, please feel free to e-mail into support@unitronics.com for further assistance.