Jazz JZ20-R31 Connection problem v2

Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to using PLC's and I'm having some trouble connecting to my PLC. I don't know if my PLC is bad, cable is bad (pretty sure its good), or my ports are messed up. I have no experience and I am using the U90 ladder program. 

In U90, when I go to Controller>Operating System or the 2nd way I've been going about it Controller>M90 OPLC Settings, I am just trying to establish connection to my computer to the PLC. I keep getting errors on failing to connect to the COM port.

There is  another post on here talking about how my PLC (JZ20-R31) has a USB mini port on the side. I have the driver for it downloaded as well as the driver that comes with the 'Install Driver' button in U90. I've never really messed around with ports before, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. Some other online stuff said to  try Device manager>Add legacy  Hardware> .... Could the issue be not choosing the right options after I choose "Ports COM & LPT "?

Because no matter what driver I do, I can confirm that the COM# in Device manager matches the one in U90 ladder and I still can't get the connection.

I have a windows 10, HP Pavillion 17 notebook.

Can you provide any tips for a rookie?

• MVP 2023

Hi and welcome.

Before doing anything else, did you do the install as right click/run as admin?  And once that is done, go to the U90ladder.exe program itself and ensure you have Run as Admin selected in  right click/Properties/Compatibility. 

If you did not do the install as above,

• save your plc programs,
  • connect the plc and manually fully delete the matching com port driver in Device Manager,
  • completely uninstall U90 using the standard uninstaller,
  • then delete the Unitronics U90 Ladder folder if it remains,
  • reboot and start again, doing the install as first mentioned.

In theory the latest versions of the program do the admin stuff themselves, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Once you have done that, see how it goes and then we'll proceed from there. 

cheers, Aus

• Like 1

• 2 months later...