EX-RC1 w/Unistream PLCs

I have a question about the EX-RC1 remote I/O adapter.  All of the documentation that I have available to me suggests that this adapter can be used to bring in data from expansion devices such as the IO-AI4-A02 to a Unistream PLC.  I am aware that data structures for these need to be constructed in Visilogic and ported to Unilogic.  However, the documentation further describes the porting of data structures back to Visilogic for deployment in Vision, et al PLCs.  This is confusing!  Can a Unistream PLC actually work with, assuming the data structures are as per the documentation, expansion devices and utilize the data from those devices in real time?

• MVP 2023

Yes, an EX-RC1 can be very confusing to someone who hasn't worked them before.

Understand that an EX-RC1 is actually a blind Vision PLC.  You write simple program in Visilogic to download to the EX-RC1 that packs the data and handles the CANbus communications. 

2 hours ago, John Dryden Jr said:

Can a Unistream PLC actually work with, assuming the data structures are as per the documentation, expansion devices and utilize the data from those devices in real time?

The response time is actually about 0.1 - 0.01 seconds between a UniStream and I/O connected via an EX-RC1, as the data is transferred once per scan for both devices.  "Real Time" on anybody's remote I/O system is subjective.

If you haven't already downloaded the UniLogic examples, I would highly recommend doing so.  There are a couple examples of UniStream working with an EX-RC1 which contain both a UniLogic program (.ulpr) and a Visilogic program for the EX-RC1 (.vlp).  You'll have to install Visilogic on your system.

Beat on it and let us know what questions you have.

Joe T.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2014

I agree with Joe's suggestions, and would highly recommend getting this to work using the standard examples before you then try to create your own application.

The EX-RC1 was originally created as an IO slave for Vision PLCs, and the documentation most likely still reflects this.  It has since been applied as an IO slave for UniStream as well.

Simon