Putting UniStream USC Ethernet ports on the top side - who's idea was that?

Because even in the cleanest of panels, dust still somehow settles on components. And if the Ethernet port is exposed on the top side, it's bound to catch it. Add a few unattended years of service, and that RJ-45 port is seriously filled with things you don't want to be in.

Siemens solved this problem by putting Ethernet ports on the lower side of PLCs. Even Vision PLCs have a side mounted jack. But not USCs.

Guess I'll be shopping for some rubber plugs...

• MVP 2023
12 hours ago, kvlada said:

Add a few unattended years of service, and that RJ-45 port is seriously filled with things you don't want to be in.

Duct tape is probably the cheapest solution.

12 hours ago, kvlada said:

Siemens solved this problem by putting Ethernet ports on the lower side of PLCs.

And in fact, in several modern Siemens 1200 series, I already replaced the ethernet controller chip due to a short circuit that completely blocked the operation of the PLC. I don't know the reasons.

I did not encounter any problems with the ethernet controller in the Unitronics PLC.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, kratmel said:

Duct tape is probably the cheapest solution.

And in fact, in several modern Siemens 1200 series, I already replaced the ethernet controller chip due to a short circuit that completely blocked the operation of the PLC. I don't know the reasons.

I did not encounter any problems with the ethernet controller in the Unitronics PLC.

Interesting... I've had a few V100-17-ET2 and V200-19-ET2 fail in the field, due to overheating. Might explain why there's V100-S-ET2 as a "wide temperature" model.

Unistream, no problems so far. First installation 8 years ago and counting. :)

• MVP 2023

You yourself answered the question about the reasons for the failure of ethernet modules. In any case, the user should read about the permissible working conditions before using the equipment in the field. Accordingly, you have a choice - to take one communication module or another.

It is another matter to replace the entire controller with the program if it is fundamentally impossible to replace the communication module.

Of course, there are no perfect things - there are things that fit and not quite. On the forum there were examples of systems where the PLC was simply installed on a vertical DIN rail. - This is another simple solution to the port pollution problem.

I met a PLC hidden in an IP67 cabinet made of stainless steel, which was hidden in another IP67 cabinet made of stainless steel, which was installed in the IP67 body of a machine that packed sausages. To the question of why the controller failed, I answered - it overheated. The plastic on the controller crumbled from the temperature, but the machine worked for some time (about 4 years).

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 1:11 AM, kratmel said:

You yourself answered the question about the reasons for the failure of ethernet modules. In any case, the user should read about the permissible working conditions before using the equipment in the field. Accordingly, you have a choice - to take one communication module or another.

It is another matter to replace the entire controller with the program if it is fundamentally impossible to replace the communication module.

Of course, there are no perfect things - there are things that fit and not quite. On the forum there were examples of systems where the PLC was simply installed on a vertical DIN rail. - This is another simple solution to the port pollution problem.

I met a PLC hidden in an IP67 cabinet made of stainless steel, which was hidden in another IP67 cabinet made of stainless steel, which was installed in the IP67 body of a machine that packed sausages. To the question of why the controller failed, I answered - it overheated. The plastic on the controller crumbled from the temperature, but the machine worked for some time (about 4 years).

The modules which failed on me were located in V1040 and V130 PLCs, mounted in large 20" x 20" panels which had proper ventilation. The V1040 also had a temperature monitor alarm which triggered when Controller Temperature (SI 14) went above 50 degrees. The alarm was never triggered, and controller reported to be in 40-45 celsius range.

It could be that these were just defective. Nobody is perfect, not even Siemens or B&R. When I checked the PLC, I've found that only the network card was overheating, not the rest of the PLC.  Maybe there was an overvoltage or EM transient coming from the network cable.

I've installed hundreds of these cards and without any problem whatsoever. The V700 which has integrated Ethernet port never had any issues also, and I've installed at least 50 of them at various sites.

• Thanks 1

• MVP 2023

I've got a few 130s and none have had a failure. 

But perhaps there is another element in play here.  Nearly all the time my cards are not doing any actual "work" apart from maintaining, or trying to maintain, the connection.  The only use is a daily login to check a few things, and other slightly longer times when there will be a program update etc.  Vastly different to an installation that might be running the cards non-stop with large constant chatter between systems.  So the question is whether the amount  of card usage might heat things up too much?  That is something I don't know and can't answer.  Logically a device constantly doing "work" must generate more heat than if doing little, but perhaps not.

And a side note on "duct" tape.  I've mentioned this before but a repeat.  "Duct" tape in Aus refers to a wider tape that is similar material to insulation tape.  Invariably this stuff slightly retracts over time and leaves a horrible sticky residue on removal, especially when subjected to any heat elevation.  If you are cutting squares of it to put over holes, it will likely not stay in place that well.  The better thing to use is what we call "Gaffer" tape which is also known as Race tape and perhaps other names around the globe.  It is cloth based and is much better for permanency in situations like this.   The other alternatives for covering openings, which I've had to do sometimes after removing a card and not having a replacement "breakout" piece, are:

1).  use a small cable tie to hold an external cover in place, with the tie run through dedicated holes or existing slots nearby. 

2). tiny silicone dabs which are large enough to hold the cover piece, but small enough to enable ease of removal if needed.  Over the years I've actually found that this is the best of the lot, but "needs must" applies at the time!

cheers, Aus