M-91 and shaft encoder

I have a M-91-2-R1 and I am having trouble with the HSI. I think I have tried every combination of setting to get the MI to count. I currently have the 0,1 input set to High speed Shaft Encoder (X2). When hooked up the encoder will not change the MI. If I just use a jumper wire the MI will change to 1 but when I remove the jumper the value goes back to 0. I believe the encoder to be good, if I use a multimeter the encoder registers mA and volts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• MVP 2014

A multimeter doesn't give you a very good picture of the encoder signal. An oscilloscope would be ideal, even just a low-cost handheld one. If your multimeter has a frequency setting, that can also give you more information than just mA or Volts.

Do you know the output specifications of the encoder? It can be 5V TTL, Open Collector (either NPN or PNP), push-pull, line driver.

If you look at the direct, digital values of I0 and I1 do they change at all whilst turning the encoder very slowly?

i know an oscilloscope would be a better indicator but unfortunately i do not have one. If I turn the encoder real slow the multimeter will jump up and down. the I0 and I1 do not change with just the encoder hooked up. I can get I0 to count if i also jumper from the + volts to I0 and I1 and remove the jumpers alternately. The jumpers will not count if the encoder is not connected.

I have also tried setting I0 to Counter and get the same results.

I have 2 different encoders that I have tried.

Dynapar model 2112 5 - 26 V out, 6 pin here is a link to the manufacturer current model. the wire leads are labeled from the manufacturer with +, Common, Sig A, Sig B and Shield so i hooked it up http://www.dynapar.com/Products_and_Solutions/Series_21/22_QUBE_Encoder/

BEI model H20DB-25-SS-100-A-3904R-SCS18-5V-S http://www.beiied.com/PDFs2/H20_Incremental_Encoder.pdf

OK I found my problem. Everything works just fine now. I got to reading the configuration pamphlet that came with the M-91 and realized all the power jumpers are set to 24 volt. I am using a 12 volt power supply. I am honestly surprised it would turn on and do everything i wanted except read the encoder. now that I have switched the power supply J5 & J6 and Digital inputs J2 to 12 Volt the encoder registers on the counter. Thanks for your help. your questions got me looking to see if i had overlooked something in the original setup.