Hi,

I'm having some issues regarding alarm acknowledge on my V130. I have a couple of alarms I would like to be acknowledged by a button connected to an input, the input sets a MB which is choosen in each alarm config as "acknowledge bit". I thought that this would acknowledge the alarm just as the selected MB goes high, but it doesn't work.

Instead, the "F2" button is the acknowledge button, in the plc-project the "F2" button isn't used anywhere regarding the alarms. Is this maybe some default that isn't possible to change?

regards Anton

Hi again,

Since no one has yet answered, lets put it this way:

How is the alarm acknowledge function supposed to work? Isn't it just to specify a bit as "Acknowledge bit" and when the cause of the specifik alarm is gone, let this bit go high (i.e. by pressing a button) and then the alarm will be acknowledged?

In the alarm examples I've seen the acknowledge bit isn't used, so I'm a bit lost.

regards Anton

• 4 months later...

I'm bumping this one again since I haven't been able to solve it and the client is adamant that the acknowledge button is another one than F2.

So, is there any way to user define the ack button on the V130? Help would be very much appreciated.

regards

Anton

Hi Anton,

You cannot reset and/or acknowledge alarms by any bit assignment.

You have to do this from Alarms Display of OPLC only, this is by design and intended to track, that alarms being reviewed, acknowledged and reset by phisical persone, who is responcible to take action. As regular, acknowledge/reset of alarms are accessible with password.

Assigned bits for acknowledge and/or reset is informative, and change status when assigned action done.

If you wish to reset remotely alarms - it seems, you do not need embedded alarms, and you have to use your algorithm, which you have to develop.

B.R.

*I cannot tell you nothing about F2 until I will see your project.

Anton,

Unfortunately you cannot program an input or any bit within the logic as an acknowledge button. The only way to acknowledge an alarm is through pressing F2 when on the alarm screen.

The reason for this is to guarantee that the user manually views the Alarm and any attached messages. There is also a password protected acknowledge option and using an input or bit would not allow the user to enter the password.

The premade alarm screen and its functions are done pretty well, but if you need special requirements about how your alarms are acknowledged and how shutowns are reset there is no way for a pre-made alarm system to do what everyone wants. While writing your own alarm reset and acknowledge system is longer and more difficult it has the distinct advantage of being what you want and need.

I personally do not use the pre-built alarm screens and functions in my programs so that I can maintain the control I want on how records are kept and how everything works. Others are perfectly happy with what all ready exists and thats good too.

For example I have my programs written so that there is a main off-on switch and to reset shutdown faults you must switch this to the off position and leave it there for more than 5 seconds to be able to reset a shutdown. (I am forcing the user to come to the equipment and check it all out) Alarms on the other hand I allow more lattitude to the user and let them clear and alarm either on screen or remotely.

Lets be clear on my definitions.

1) A fault that results in a shutdown is a fault that will result in the damage of either equipment or people and should not be remotely reset from an easy chair 300 miles away. (which is why they have to up front and personal with the control panel to be sure no one will be hurt and evaluate the cause of the shutdown)

1) An alarm on the other hand is an indication that something is not as it should be, but there is no need to shutdown the equipment. (such an oil filter getting plugged and it needs to be replaced or cleaned). In these cases, remote clearing of an alarm is aceptable and I allow end user to do this. (I keep a record of all alarm/shutdown faults for several hundred events so I can see where an when an alarm/shutdown hapened just in case a user wants to later state that no alarm was ever given).

I am sure if you had everyone here polled we all have differences on how we preffer to handle alrms and shutdowns, but in the end I think we all agree that we want our control designs to be as safe as we can make them and have everything work the way we want it to work.

Keith

• Upvote 1