Enfora 41J modem with AT&T

I have a project using the Enfora 41J modem kit with V130 for SMS messaging(send & receive).  The modem was working perfectly until it was shipped to its final location now it will not initialize anymore. A very new AT&T tower is close by in the area of this project & if I check AT&T coverage map it is not showing 2G coverage.  I have not been able to find definite proof, but suspect this modem needs 2G to work.  Does anyone else have experience with this?  Will Untronics soon supply a newer modem that is more compatible?

Has the Sixnet IndustrialPro® SN-6000 series routers ever been used as a GSM modem with Unitronics?  This might be a solution for the issue stated above, but I wish to verify that it can be initialized to work with Unitronics PLC.

Thank You,

Allen

You are correct, the Enfora GSM modem does use 2G service for operation.

We are not familiar with the Sixnet IndustrialPro SN-6000 router. Does it utilize a serial GSM or cellular modem?

Any brand of Ethernet or cellular modem should work with our controllers as long as they have the required Ethernet COM port added to the controller. The controller would them be set up in exactly the same way as when on an office network. The only difference would be how the PLC is receiving the internet connection.

Yes, the Sixnet does have serial GSM (see this link:  http://www.picscontrols.com/assets/files/Industrial%20Pro%206000.pdf ).

The V130 controller needs to send & receive SMS messages.  This forces me to use a compatible serial GSM modem, instead of an ethernet connection.

My concern with the Sixnet is doing a "Modem Initialization"  from Visilogic, as it is not a supported modem.

I have a project using the Enfora 41J modem kit with V130 for SMS messaging(send & receive).  The modem was working perfectly until it was shipped to its final location now it will not initialize anymore. A very new AT&T tower is close by in the area of this project & if I check AT&T coverage map it is not showing 2G coverage.  I have not been able to find definite proof, but suspect this modem needs 2G to work.  Does anyone else have experience with this?  Will Untronics soon supply a newer modem that is more compatible?

Has the Sixnet IndustrialPro® SN-6000 series routers ever been used as a GSM modem with Unitronics?  This might be a solution for the issue stated above, but I wish to verify that it can be initialized to work with Unitronics PLC.

Thank You,

Allen

Hi Allen,

Currently, Unitronics supports 3g modem networking only for the Unistream series (using this modem).

However, supporting 3g modems for the Vision series is one of our highest priorities, and it is expected in several months time.

Hi Allen,

Currently, Unitronics supports 3g modem networking only for the Unistream series (using this modem).

However, supporting 3g modems for the Vision series is one of our highest priorities, and it is expected in several months time.

What I am understanding then, is that even if we get the Sixnet gsm modem to work with PLC, it will still only work in areas with 2G. 

I am hoping we can get this situation resolved with a SIM card from Kore Telematics

To add to Joes comment.  The official sunset of 2G is scheduled for 2017.  However there are portions of the country where 2G has already been cut off.  AT&T has been cutting off 2G service in several areas to allow the towers in question to be retasked over to LTE service.  We have already had several remote scada units where we have been forced to change the customers hardware over to 3G or higher service.  As you can imagine this is a painful conversation to have with a customer when they may have just purchased their hardware just a few months ago.

Also like joe says even if a modem is not one of the select models in the short list of pre-programmed modems in visilogic it is possible to get other modems to work.