I am using a EXF-RC15 paired with a V130-t33-T2 so I can achieve a total of 5 High Speed Counters. This meaning 2 High Speed Counters on the V130 unit, and 3 High Speed Counters on the EXF-RC15. The high speed counter function on the V130 is working perfectly fine. The High Speed Counters attached to the EXF-RC15 are not functioning. I started with a fresh file and simply added the three high speed counter inputs, than pulse them to see if they count, and they do not respond. I hook the same counters into the V130 and they work perfectly fine. I than assumed it could be the EXF-RC15 needs a longer pulse to count it, so I incresed the pulse length to the longest setting, and still no count function. Than I assumed the rail was malfunctioning, so I direct connected an inout to it and fed power, and it shows a 1, so it is working however it shows a 1 across all inputs when i do this.

My question is there a setting on the EXF-RC15 that I am missing somewhere? What could cause this?

Thanks in advance

Hi Arbellah,

You have to connect input terminal 10 (n/p) to either  0V or +24V - configure inputs as PNP or NPN, in accordance to used encoder.

Than any configuration should work.

What is an encoder model?

What type of output have shaft encoder you use? NPN, PNP, push-pull?

In my case it works fine with push-pull encoder I have.

• Upvote 1

I am using a banner DF-G2 as the counter

I have the rail connected as NPN.

I didn't clarify in the above post as much as I could, and I have done further investigating since. I will summarize below

When you hook up a manual switch as an input, and close the input so voltage comes to the input side, it pulses across all 10 inputs, and lights up all 10 input lights. It almost appears as this canbus is a defective unit. However when the Banner DF-G2 pulses, it doesn't illuminate a light to any input lights, or count on the specific input. 

As I see from Quick Start Guide, outputs are PNP or NPN. So you have to use pull-up/pulll-down resistor.

http://info.bannerengineering.com/cs/groups/public/documents/literature/177900.pdf

Additional to this, you have to connect input terminal 10 (n/p) to either  0V or +24V - configure inputs as PNP or NPN, in accordance to used encoder.

This will eliminate disturbance if one input to other.

B.R.

• Upvote 1

The pulse is adjustable and can be 1ms all the way to 100ms 

In our situation are we better to use a 5.1kohm pull-up resistor or pull-down resistor? With NPN I assume pull-down. My experience with these resisters is little to none.

I guess im confused why we need these for the canbus but not for the v130.

Okay I've researched pull-up and pull down resisters now. I have a general understanding of them. Which way would it need wired in our system. This also brings me back to my original question, why do we not need these on the v130, but we need them on the canbus. The Banner DF-g2 is not in a floating state. It either outputs a 0 or a 1 based on how we have it set, Light Operate, or Dark Operate. I don't believe it to be in a floating output state ever.

Hi,

It will be due to different internal impedance.

There are different V130 models with different input impedance.

V130 -TRA22 have an input impedance 4.5 kohm for I 0 - I 1.

V130-T38 have an input impedance 3 kohm.

EXF-RC15 have an input impedance 4.5 kohm for I 0 - I 5.

So it is dependent of V130 model you tested.

For sensor with NPN output you have to use pull-up resistor.

B.R.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

You were going in the wrong direction with the resistance value.  You have to allow enough current to flow in the internal opto-isolator to light up the tiny LED.

Mr. Ohm tells us that a 2.2K resistor gives about 10 mA at 24V.  This value of current that I personally use when trying to figure out how to interface with an opto-coupler.  The drop across the LED is usually 1.2V and can be ignored if you have a 24V supply.  It can not be ignored if you're working at 5V.

Joe T.