Data Table Read/Write Direct Function

• MVP 2023

Does anyone know the magical formula for the Data Table Read/Write actual address locations?  I have three tables and I'm trying to pull a large chunk of ASCII data out of one without multiple Data Table Read Row blocks.  Read Column would work, but string types are not allowed to be selected in that block.

The Help says something about the Utilities section of the Visilogic manual, but it's not listed under the Utilities tree in the Help contents.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

I did not have it.  Thanks!

Look at page 55.

What I'm looking for is the method to determine what the actual raw database address correlation to the data table structure.  I have three data tables - what is the value that gets entered into "C" - start byte of the source vector if I want to start reading blocks from the third data table?  Is the data arranged in order of rows or columns? 

I tried getting the size of the tables from the usage dialog and guessing.  I got close, but the data I retrieved had chunks of recognizable data with unknown chunks between them.

This is a mystery.  I wound up just biting the bullet and making a whole bunch of Read Row blocks for my long strings, but it felt clumsy.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

Glad to help.

Perhaps the solution is to create a small program that you can manually manipulate your various bits of data into a similar but smaller table, and then see how that gets pulled back out.  Perhaps a mix of different data types is handled differently to what one would expect....hence the unknown chunks.   But persevering with a single row manually triggered test entry might show up the pattern.  Alternatively someone with the knowledge can jump in and give us the facts.

I'd love to try this out, but I can see I would shift into "challenge" and "dog with a  bone" mode on something that might take ages, and I can't afford that time at present!

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023

9 hours ago, Ausman said:

"challenge" and "dog with a  bone"

That's what happened with me.  I realized after screwing around with it after two hours that experiment time was done.  It took about half an hour to write the tediously redundant code to get and display all the data I wanted from a data table.

I SO wish there was a Data Table display tool in Visilogic.  I have wondered if the Creators ever consider the massive tool set that has been built over time and look at deleting some of the stuff that is still in there for the 0.5% that still use it to allow for some new features to be added.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023
On 07/01/2018 at 4:23 AM, Joe Tauser said:

the massive tool set

Ahhh yes.....the Microsoft Office trap.  Now a lot of bloatware.   How many people use everything in that?!   

I agree some things could be dropped.  I still find features I didn't know about, don't have a use for, and ponder their existence anyway.  And if a change means someone has to stick with an older version, that's what Version Swapper is  for.  They just need to be made aware of the need.

Aus