Load Cell with Unistream 5

cbryan

The majority of my current applications involve Load Cells. I currently use V350 and/or V560 with an EX-A2X expansion adapter to an LC1/LC3. I originally used EX-RC1 but deviated from it and use exclusively EX-A2X because I can email and explain to any customer how to upload clones for any specialized changes I make to the V350 and V560. Since you need to be physically plugged into the EX-RC1 to do any upgrades its usefulness has its limits. 

So My question is what is the easiest way to utilize load cells if we do make the jump to Unistream line of PLCs? I'm really hoping my options are not limited to CanBus to EX-RC1. At least it is an option, but I would likely add more Analog I/O to the same location, which goes back to making changes a bit more difficult. 

I know there are other ways to upload a program to the EX-RC1 but Internet connection is not readily available at all machine locations, and having a guy on the other end of the phone with any amount of programming knowledge never happens, so the less I need to walk someone through how to use a computer the better. Plus the machinery moves and most plants don't want to take the time to plug the system into their router, let alone properly set up a network. 

I also have many loadcell applications using EX-RC1, which I program to act only as remote IO (Update digital and analog inputs/outputs). Such architecture allows to keep all logic programmed in main PLC.

Unless you change hardware to EX-RC1, you don´t have to update its program.

You may also consider to use weight transmitter using any protocol. I use Modbus TCP or RTU or Ethernet/IP based on the PLC hardware.

Your right. I am just over thinking it.  Even more I like the idea of using a weight transmitter as opposed to the LC1.  I was just spoiled I guess with with only needing to communicate between 2 unitronics PLC's as opposed to any other hardware. 

Thank you for the input.

• 7 months later...

I'm now using load cell weighing transmitters with MODBUS TCP protocol made by LAUMAS and they work great with Unistream PLC's.

The cost is lower than using the EX-RC1 and LC1, it is very easy to set up and all programming is kept within Unilogic.

A dedicated load cell module is missing from Unistream's product range, we are waiting for it and hope to have it in the near future!