PID control Analog output

Dave M

Joe,

Thanks for your reply! I have downloaded the example files. I have the USP-156-B10 PLC with analog input and output modules as well as transistor modules. I have successfully programed these units to use the PID function to control heaters with PWM using the transistor output. (like in the example files).  I want to use the PID control to vary an analog (4-20mA) output as a signal to a VFD to control a pump. 

Regards,

Dave

I would use the analog output value, set in your program, as the PID's Control Value; and take as its Process Value whatever measurement you are using to determine the effect of the pump, and its relation to the Set Point (also defined in your program).

Regards

Robin

• MVP 2023

Kind of.  But yes.

Typically I program the output of the block to range from 0-1000 which is easy to read as 0-100.0% and can be mapped into a PWM converter.

You can change the output of the PID block to match the D/A resolution of whichever analog module you are using, but I would personally leave the PID at 0-1000 and add a linear block to convert to what the analog output is expecting.

Joe T.

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't sorted this out...

How do I change the output of the PID block? Setting the high and low limits? Also, my control value seems to stay at zero regardless of the PV and setpoint. I have attached the program for your review. The issue is with the PID_Feedpump ladder. 

Thanks,

Dave 

DM071521.ulpr