V130 Hex numeric entry not working as expected.

• MVP 2023

Hi all, in finalising an "increase my knowledge, just for fun" project, (which actually has been a PITA and taken over a few months of occasional work!) I have come across a keypad entry issue that is likely me being dumb and not doing something properly. 

Again note that this is trying on a 130.  I can't get the keypad to let me enter Hex when I have it linked to any sort of DW.  I've played with a few ways and it just rolls along to the next digit on multiple presses of the same number, instead of doing alpha-numeric like it does for passwords which wait for the enter push, or few seconds timeout, for each digit/letter.  This is the first time I'm trying  to enter hex via HMI input, so maybe it's not possible?  But why the choice in the options if it doesn't work?   Bug?  Aus being stupid?!! Maybe it only works for touchscreen models, not 130s?

Thoughts please, and feel free to hit me with a foam bat, as Joe is fond of saying.   🙃

cheers, Aus

HexEntry.jpg.97d983ee7efdf8f2fd954749ca1e6776.jpg

• MVP 2023

Thanks Kratmel, had tried that and it doesn't. 

Simon has advised that he tried hex entry on a 1040 and it worked as expected, so perhaps my theory is correct about it only working on touchscreen models.  But it would be nice to know for sure that others find the same issue on a 130.

cheers, Aus

Hi Ausman,

I happen to own a V130 so i tried your keypad entries on mine. I created 2 similar variables, except that one is displayed in hex (in VisiLogic), the other one in decimal (still in VisiLogic).

When i want to load a new value in these variables with my keyboard, these are the steps i need to go through :

1) Press Enter when the field of the variable is selected (navigating with arrows)

2) Press Up/Down arrows to increment/decrement the variable by a step of 1. Note that the variable is displayed in DECIMAL while incrementing/decrementing.

3) Press Enter for saving the value. Once the value is saved, it turns from DECIMAL to HEXADECIMAL on the screen.

I did not manage to update directly in hexadecimal on my PLC. Hereafter you can find a screen of my PLC remote display.

Hoping it helps,

Sideway.

image.png.a5c96772f13b46a2de12a0c8bdd72cbe.png

• MVP 2023

Thanks for the effort Sideway.  That was also my observation in the post above yours. 

130's do have quirks that should  work ok but sometimes don't  because they aren't touchscreens.

In this case I really did want to have hex displayed as it was scrolled through/entered.  A bit confusing to have to convert it on a programming calc or chart first!

cheers, Aus