SM43 as Modbus TCP Slave

Hello

Have inherited a SM43-J-R20 unit that is supposed to be acting as a Modbus Slave to a SCADA system. Currently am having issues getting it to talk to the host. From what I have gleaned from the forums/tutorials, it seems to be setup correct but obviously isn't as it is not talking.

Any help would be appreciated.

20220608_1620.vlp

kratmel

Thanks. That setup does look cleaner/simpler. I am not understanding IP/ID relationship though. Could you shed some light on that? This controller is the slave, so I am not sure why we need to set up slave in the Modbus IP Config block.

image.png

I am also getting confused with how the IP addressing is supposed to be setup. Is the controller IP address set in the TCP/IP Project Settings or in the TCP/IP Card Init? This controller is connected to a cell modem, so it would technically be the Master on the local network I believe.

image.png.1a0952e3171fc26aad1526abc9de0a09.png

image.png.43796e5ec109754122611a0a1baa4b39.png

• MVP 2023
18 hours ago, _PH said:

I am also getting confused with how the IP addressing is supposed to be setup. Is the controller IP address set in the TCP/IP Project Settings or in the TCP/IP Card Init?

The PLC IP address is set up in the TCP/IP Card Init Function Block in ladder. The TCP/IP Project settings are set to allow VisiLogic to communicate with the PLC via Ethernet. The fields in the Project settings should match the configuration in the PLC ladder in order to communicate successfully.

19 hours ago, _PH said:

I can see the controller on the network but am not able to pull values from it via Modbus

From above, I see the PLC address as 192.168.0.1 and I see the MDBus set to 192.168.0.10. It looks like a typo in the TCP/IP Card Init FB, as you seem to have the PLC address and the Default Gateway set to the same address, which is unusual.

Sorted out the IP address settings and following one of the posts supplied have rolled back my OS. Now am running 9.8.65 software and 4.004(31) OS. I can get MDBus to latch onto the controller and see Modbus values after I complete a download but cannot reconnect after closing the MDBus session. Are there any tricks for triggering a CLOSE of the TCP/IP socket/connection? I have been going through the help file to figure a way out to trigger the CLOSE:TCP function but not coming up with anything viable.

image.png.d54e8c17e4e047a5da32c141ebcc8d17.png

Link to forum post:

20220610_9-8-65.vlp

• MVP 2023

Good job.

However, as always, I ask the author of the topic to briefly tell us about the journey.

That is, which version of the firmware did not work and which solved the problem.

This is important for future forum participants who will follow this path.

To get Modbus TCP/IP comms established,  I downgraded to Visilogic version 9.8.65 with OS 4.004(31).

I could not get 9.8.95 with OS 4.10(48) to work.

To get the TCP connection to close on inactivity, setting SI-105 (Socket 2 TCP/IP Keep Alive) to 10, seem to be the fix.

• Thanks 1