communication issues

hi, 

let me start by saying i am new to this and trying to learn as i go, but i need help please 

i have  a m91-2-R6-ZK1 controller i am trying to  connect to it so i can up load the program to my computor and down load it to an other m91.  when i try to upload it starts out with this

1. date, time, <1,9600,E,7,1>1,9600,7,EVEN,1,3,1500> Retransmitting

2. date, time, <1,9600,E,7,1> Switching Com Port

3. date, time, <1,9600,E,7,1> Synchronizing Com Ports

then it faults out with can not communicate, give the 3 reasons, cable not connected, time out to short, incorrect communication settings.

i have played around with the time out timing did not solve the issue, checked com port everything looks right there, both at 1.  using the goldx usb adapter with a dp 9  to rj11 connector rs232 cable.

but i just cant seem to figure this out, any help would be greatly appreciated.  

• MVP 2023

I normally communicate with 9600, N, 8, 1. Confirm that your M91 Com port setting exactly matches your PCs Com port setting. Confirm you are using the correct Com port on your PC by going into Device Manager. 

45 minutes ago, jturner said:

checked com port everything looks right there, both at 1

This leads me to believe you aren't understanding Com ports. The port number on your PC and the port number on your PLC are not related. You must use the correct one for each.

• MVP 2023

jt, as Flex is implying, it is possible that com port 1 on the PC is not the port you need.  Have device manager open in the PC and then plug in just your goldx adapter (not attached to plc) and see what happens in the com ports area.  You should get the display refreshed and another port will appear that is the one related to the adapter.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

Also, seeing your "please help", remember that on this forum all posts are subject to moderator approval.  There may be a delay in your request getting to the stage of approval and general visibility....the forum is mostly volunteers not employed by Unitronics so keep this mind.

cheers, Aus

do not have the cable t

RS232 to Unitronics RJ11 PC programming cables

PCs are normally not equipped with an RJ11 socket for serial RS232 communications. If we want to connect a PC with an Unitronics PLC, for example for programming or debugging reasons, we need a connection cable which is on one side fitted with a female DB9 connector, and on the other side with an RJ11 jack. The layout for this cable is shown below.

Unitronics RJ11 RS232 programming cable
Unitronics RJ11 RS232 programming cable

DB9 RJ11 Function
2 3 RxD arrow_left.png TxD
3 4 TxD arrow_right.png RxD
4 6 DTR arrow_right.png DSR
5 2 + 5 Signal ground
6 1 DSR arrow_left.png DTR

hat came with the unit used the pin layout provided  in the connection chart

• MVP 2023

Interesting - that is a special OEM controller off an air compressor-

https://meiinternational.com/collections/compressor-air-dryer-controllers/unitronics

I'm guessing you bought this on eBay or Amazon and can't go back to your supplier for any assistance.  

5 hours ago, jturner said:

i have  a m91-2-R6-ZK1 controller i am trying to  connect to it so i can up load the program to my computor

You may locked out of uploading, as this is an OEM product.

Tell us what driver files the system has assigned to your Gold X USB converter.  Hopefully it has the Prolific PL2302 chipset - the FTDI chipset doesn't seem to work too well. 

@Flex727- the crossover flat cable is needed only if you're using a MJ10-25-cable adapter.  If he wired the cable directly then the above connection diagram is correct.

Quite frankly the best solution would be to get the Unitronics-approved USB adapter and programming cable.  They're not expensive-

MJ10-22-CS35  USB adapter

RS232-CB1 programming cable

What country are you in?

Joe T.

the controller is from a refrigerated dryer,  i did buy a new controller from E bay, but i get the same fault, no matter which controller i connect too. i have called the company that the dryer come from  but they are  just bleeding me for more and more service calls at 600. dollars a vist and still not working.  so i am looking at doing this repair myself, the Gold X  USB converter i have has the   Prolific PL2302 chip set.  i will look into buying the suggested cables just hopping i dont have the same issue as i have now with new cables. i am in the U.S.  and i  do really appreciate the help all of yall have given me.

• MVP 2023

jt, you've said that you've checked the M91's comm settings.  How did you do this?  Did you use information mode?  If not, look at the help file about info mode and then access the comm settings with the plc running to indeed make sure they are what you say.  Ensure it is in run mode using info mode, too.

If this doesn't work, I think you need to have a good read of the post linked below and perhaps the rest of the topic.  And also read the entire topic linked within my post.  Perhaps your Gold X doesn't have a real 2302......both topics are lengthy but have good explanations.  I would also think about using the program mentioned to completely clean all your usb to serial drivers out and start again but being more careful with drivers.    There is likely a very simple explanation here, but it could also be way more complex than you would desire!  Some usb converters are a complete PITA, and that is why I only use truly genuine ones from the likes of Shentek etc.  Read and learn some useful info anyway.

cheers, Aus

edited as the original link got you there eventually if you looked around,  but was not the correct destination to start with...sorry.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have exactly the same controller as JT installed in some air dryers from Ingresoll Rand and we are trying to integrate these dryers to with our monitoring system. However I'm experiencing exactly the same communications issues JT had.

I just wonder what was the final solution.

Thanks for your support and regards,

Arturo Ferenczi