v700 sudden power loss, the PLC doesn't reconnect

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with V700 PLC that I hope someone here can help with. Whenever there's a sudden power loss, the PLC doesn't reconnect or resume operation once the power is restored. This problem is causing significant downtime and disruption to our processes.

Here are the details:

• Model: V700 PLC
  • Issue: Fails to reconnect after sudden power loss
  • Symptoms: After the power is restored, the PLC remains offline and doesn't resume normal operation. A manual restart is required to get it back online.
  • Additional Information: When I manually restart the PLC, it reconnects immediately and operates normally until the next sudden power loss.
  • Attempts to Fix: I've checked the power supply connections, ensured the firmware is up to date, and reviewed the PLC's settings, but nothing seems to resolve the issue.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? If so, what steps did you take to fix it? Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

• MVP 2023

1 & 2 are mainly assuming SB168 is OFF.  If it is already ON, which you'll find out during doing the following,  then something else is astray.  A "sudden" power loss might mean a very brief interruption, which can play havoc with some settings.

1). You would normally use Visilogic to see if it has a power up value of 1.  SB168 is listed in System Bits.  In any new project it defaults to being off, and you have to change it to a 1 in the power up value for the automatic recovery to occur.  No other alterations needed to your program.  Compile the program, save as a new name, then send it to the controller using whichever Download option you want to use.

2).  If you don't have the program so that you can open it in Visilogic, you can manually get to SB 168 by using Info mode.  Once you have got into Info mode, follow the screen messages to work your way through to SB168 and see whether it is on or off.  Thinking on this a little more as I write, I suggest you actually do this in the first place.  It will easily show whether the program is setting it on or not.  If it's off, turn it on and see what happens with the connection.  I'm not sure whether the ON setting is retained after a power cycle if the bit is set via this means......I've always set it in the program.  It may hold onto it during a power cycle, but I don't think so.  I simply don't know for sure and can't test it at present....

Either way, if it's off, change it to 1, run things and see if the connection is retained.  If it's on, then I'd be looking at things in your control cabinet like Kratmel has spoken of, and also the possibility that power loss is causing large spikes that upset the ethernet system.  Unclamped contactors and coils etc all shutting off at the same time will create problems, and not only for ethernet but the plc itself. 

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
2 hours ago, Ausman said:

It may hold onto it during a power cycle, but I don't think so.  I simply don't know for sure and can't test it at present....

I don't have time to test this either, but I can't imagine that this would be the only bit value that isn't retained during a power cycle (with battery).