I am looking for a PLC to control an electro-pneumatic regulator in a motion control application. I regularly use the V130 PLCs, but for this application 10 ms of sample time seems to be too slow.  I was wondering if there were any Unitronics PLCs that had a faster PID sample time capability? I am looking for 2 ms (or ideally 1 ms) sample time.

• MVP 2023

PLCs do not do high speed (< 1 ms) motion well, especially if there is analog involved.

If you put code in an interrupt routine you can get 1.25 ms.  It works with discrete inputs and outputs only and they must be connected to I/O on the main circuit board.

What are the details of your I/O?  Typically you use an analog output to drive a regulator, and we are limited to the scan time for updating it.

Joe T.

What alternatives are there to PLC?

I am using analog input and analog output. Analog input is connected to a voltage position sensor on the actuator. Analog output is connected to an electronic regulator that supplies the pneumatic actuator.  I did not consider the conversion time for analog input, according to the spec it is 30 ms. Does this mean my PID actually runs with 30 ms sample time?

• 2 weeks later...

Larger pneumatic actuators are generally slower, but this particular actuator has a small cylinder using 3 to 9 bar of pressure. I have used these actuators with data acquisition devices that are capable of sampling at 2 ms and achieved a much better response time and PID loop performance, however these devices are impractical for controller applications. I was really looking for a PLC solution, but if it is true that PLCs are generally limited at 10 ms I will have to look at something else.

• MVP 2023

Wondering if you could just have the plc monitor & provide overall "control", but use a simple direct control loop to do the fast work?

Or alternatively some sort of converter which changes your position sensing on the actuator to a High Speed Frequency Output, which might make things possible.  A quick goggles found this:   http://www.redlion.net/product/analog-frequency-converter-module

cheers, Aus