Run SD Card Suite in MOE with high level user access controls

BenHMB

Hi,

I have just taken delivery of a piece of medical equipment that uses a V350-35-J-RA22 PLC.  It requires SD Card Suite to view and archive QC data collected by the PLC.  This is required essentially after each use of the equipment (daily).  However, we work within a  hospital managed operating environment giving users like myself very restricted access and permissions on our PCs.  Our PC's cannot be run with UAC disabled.  (it is a WIN7 enterprise OS)

SD Card Suite seems to require UAC to be permanently disabled (is there a way around this??) which I cannot do on our PC's - we cannot run the SD Card Suite software at this stage without an administrator.    Are there alternative ways to view and archive data from the SD card?  Could anyone point me in the direction of information regarding the filetype used to store data.  I am waiting for more information from the equipment manufacturer but from what they have provided at this stage it doesn't appear the PLC is programmed to export a .csv file.  Trend view and export of data files is all done through SD card Suite.

Remembering I am the end user of this equipment  - are there any simple workarounds that we could use?

Thanks

Ben

• MVP 2023

Hi Ben, it is all dependent on the connection method that is in use.

There are a few answers to your question, right down to removing the card for direct file transfer, but it will be easiest if you fully describe the connection in use first.

If the PLC is on the hospital's network, standalone, serial etc.

cheers,

Aus

The PLC is currently stand alone.  The only provision the manufacturer of the equipment has provided (at least in their operation manual) to transfer data to the hospital system for review and archiving is physical removal of the SD card and using the SD Card Suite - which I can't currently run due to our UAC on our PC's.

Thanks for the response!  Appreciate the help.

Ben

• MVP 2023

Isak's answer is correct and useful, but I don't know whether your IT guys would like it.  And surely they can set up the Card Suite just on the puter you are going to use?

As for continual access, I'd set up a cable link of some sort.  The easiest will be to simply get the correct cable to go into the serial port on the PLC and use that to link to your puter.  This way the card isn't constantly needing removal/reinsertion.    The cable goes under various names   RS232-CB1 or the MJ10-22-CS25 adapter name.  And you'll need a good usb to 232 adapter on your puter to run it if you don't have a native 9 pin serial com port.  Don't get a cheap no name one.  Genuine Prolific.

If you did the serial wiring and the IT guys aren't any help, get an older working W7 laptop as your dedicated intermediary device...preferably one with a com port to eliminate the need for a usb adapter.  Put the Suite on it and ONLY use it for your card data transfer, with it not being hooked into the hospital system at all.  You can then manipulate the UDTs on it at your leisure and save them to a stick for shifting onto the other systems.  You should be able to pick up a suitable laptop very cheaply.

cheers,

Aus

• 5 years later...

Hi, Ausnan, this is vivek from culture instruments india llp, bangalore. We are using v-350, v-130 for some of our equipment and are facing issues with using sdcard suite as it requires admin control which is not possible for users and your above suggestion of W7 is not good enough as systems are becoming obselete. Need an immediate solution to this Need 

@Vivek

1. You cannot require immediate solution from Forum members.

Mostly there are experienced volonters.

2. Send your request to support@unitronics.com.

*It is recommended to eliminate "immediate" word in your correspondence.

Add versions of all used software to your email.

B.R.