Firefox 89.0.2 64bit Forum interaction issue?

Ausman

• MVP 2023

Hi all, Just a headsup on an issue I'm having with Firefox on it's latest update.  It doesn't seem to interact with the forum properly.  I can't get past "Submit" on replies....it sits there saying it's "Saving" and locks everything up.

For now I've gone back to 88.0.1 which my "updated to 89" profile didn't like me doing!  Sigh.....  a reminder to do full copies of your profile before you update...I forgot this time, of course.

Ahhh......computers.  Sometimes Gilligan's Island looks good, Joe.    🙃 🏝️

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

As i see, after last forum changes i have sometimes the same

11 minutes ago, Ausman said:

Gilligan's Island

on my PC.

I logged on the forum but i can't  see myself on forum current user.

Before update i can see what topic active registered members read. Now it is present only on next step "See full list" with all Guests.

And this Rank roket... like Ilon Musk Starship on all members icons in topics....  

• MVP 2023

Fox 88 is now doing the same behaviour for me.  I haven't got to the bottom of it, except that the other thing that happened about the time the issue arose is the new forum layouts.  

For now I am using Epic for the forum, and this works ok.

cheers, Aus

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

Firefox offered 90.0 today and I took it up to see if it fixed the issue.

It did.  This has been posted ok using it.  I have done nothing else to my profiles that had the issue, so it would seem that it must have been a hiccouph in Fox itself.

cheers, Aus

• 1 month later...
  • MVP 2023

The problem re-appeared with subsequent usage and Mozilla is substantially changing the appearance and layout of Fox over the last few updates, and also the ability to change such things easily using about:config. You used to be able to easily disable Proton in fox, but you now can't do it easily. The appearance changes relate to a common theme amongst many programs, in that they seem to  think that everyone is running stuff on phones and need lots of space on screens to separate items out for easier viewing etc.    It's the same issue as to why a PC install of W10 would have many references to mobile phone operations...especially something with a touchscreen. "errr...cough....it's a PC"  

For me the new layout on Fox was the last straw in that apart from other "wasted space" issues,  large gap increases on things like bookmarks etc. doesn't sound like much, but in use were a complete PITA as I now had to scroll around a lot to go to commonly used locations that were previously visible on initial dropdown.

To this end, I am now using Firefox ESR.  The latest is 78.13 and in using the 64bit version I am not having any troubles at all at present on the forum.  Appearance is compact everywhere like I want, without any tweaking needed at all.  Time will tell if hiccouphs arise.

I have found Epic to do an admirable job, as well.

cheers, Aus.