SM43-J-RA22 and MODBUS connection

Hi everyone!

First, im asking here after quite a research over this topic, but couldn't find anything solid so far, sorry if i missed any other topic about it.

I got access to a Unitronics PLC SM43-J-RA22 that has no Ethernet port on it, so i wonder if i can use MODBUS connection over the Mini USB port that comes with it, or if i can use an USB to Serial adapter to access it over internet, the end goal is to use in a process that will alarm an user (by sms or email) after a certain event, and to be able to access it HMI remotely. What i did so far is to keep connected to a PC using the Mini USB, then use the Remote Operator on it, so i could access the PC remotely and control the HMI from there, but i don't think the alarms would work in the mode.  There are other possibitilies other than what i wrote here so far?

I appreciate any input about this.

Ricardo S. P.

• MVP 2023

Don't know this for sure, but.......

It is possible to get serial to ethernet adapters, which might solve your issue.  As to whether they will work correctly using the mini USB, I don't know.  The mini USB is essentially going through an internal adapter and having a "double or even triple conversion" might cause problems.   It is one of those cases where the only way to be sure is physically trying.  Unless someone else here has already done so.

There is a large variety of adapters in the market, search for serial to ethernet adapter or mini usb to ethernet adapter.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

To send email you need an Ethernet port.  You also need an email server that doesn't need SSL, which is a very rare thing these days but if you have your own server you can pull it off.

I've never done SMS on a Samba but you might be able to send it out using an adapter as Aus describes.  I would hook Wireshark up and verify what is actually coming out of the cable to see if you're getting anywhere.

Joe T.

Thanks everyone for the input, i got some adapters and will do some field testing. By the way, i found a RJ11 expand card for this PLC, it can be used for some kind of communication with a PC? I only used those on dial up modem connection long time ago.

Thanks again for every information.

Ricardo S. P.