I have a V570 with a broken HMI (black screen) but we have proved the PLC is still operational by testing the trips it commands. Unfortunately the program is >10 years old and no records were kept. The original supplier also does not have records.

I have successfully connected to the controller via USB To serial cable. Unfortunately attempting an upload was met with Warning 224 “the project cannot be uploaded because: - the option burn upload project was not selected when the project was downloaded, or - due to incomplete data in the PLC”.

There is also “error - no valid upload data has been found in the PLC”.

I am sure the project must have been burned into memory as we have never replaced any PLC batteries and we have an annual shutdown which would drop power to this PLC.

Is there any way to get around this warning/error and get the program off the PLC?

I found a password written on a drawing inside the cabinet - just wondering where I could try put this in if it is what is stopping the upload from working? 

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, engineer118 said:

Is there any way to get around this warning/error and get the program off the PLC?

Best solution - found the same model PLC and reinstall motherboard from original PLC to "new" one.

It is not possible to upload project if Burn "Upload Project" option is not selected when project downloaded to Unitronics Vision PLC.

8 hours ago, Gabriel Franco said:

Another option: use SD memory card and attempt  CLONE ALL from INFO mode, so you can move program, OS, data, datatables to a new unit.

I don´t remember if SD Password must be enable on ladder to be able to use this option.

Is there a way to do this through visilogic? Unfortunately the HMI screen is completely black so there is no possibility of navigating to INFO mode from the HMI (Information Mode (unitronicsplc.com))

16 hours ago, kratmel said:

Best solution - found the same model PLC and reinstall motherboard from original PLC to "new" one.

It is not possible to upload project if Burn "Upload Project" option is not selected when project downloaded to Unitronics Vision PLC.

Unfortunately transferring the PLC motherboard doesn't help the case of being able to view the program/future proof the application without doing a full redesign and rebuild. 

How is it possible the PLC has retained it's program if the battery hasn't been changed since 2008 and we have had multiple annual shutdowns where the PLC would have lost power? Which is why I don't see how the program hasn't been burned during the initial download.

There was a 7 digit password noted on some of the drawings found with the PLC, is there somewhere I can put this into Visilogic to see if it's stopping me from uploading?

• MVP 2023
6 hours ago, engineer118 said:

How is it possible the PLC has retained it's program

Simpie Download - place project to battery backed RAM - no upload possible, battery discharge = project lost.

Download and Burn - make DLU backup in flash memory - no upload possible, but project do not lost when battery discharged.

Burn "Upload Project" - Visilogic Upload possible, SD card project upload possible, project do not lost when battery discharged.

Now if you reinstall motherboard to new PLC - you can see in info mode is it upload possible. Maybe only DLU backup in flash memory pesent.

• MVP 2023
On 6/18/2022 at 6:33 PM, engineer118 said:

I have successfully connected to the controller via USB To serial cable

If you can do this and it is running ok, in online mode you can see the "screen" by selecting the icon shown here:

1565696297_Capture05820-Jun-2208_17.jpg.4eeeb353d1605452a2c08efb6df67a61.jpg

This will then let you select info mode and possibly work from there.  The popup that occurs when online has a mind of it's own and will appear somewhere on your monitor!  You may find once you can see the screen that the password is used for digging into protected display areas.

Bear in mind everything said by everyone else.  Re the password as possible program access, if Visilogic is not telling you it is password protected, then in theory there is no password permission involved.   There aren't many steps involved to successfully retrieve the program IF you can.  Read the help on PC interaction.

Also, all this will work without any program written at all in Visilogic to start with.  But you have to have the hardware set to match what you physically have by using View/Hardware config.  You've got a fair bit of a learning curve in Visilogic to go through.  You may find you've got release date of firmware or Visilogic issues as well.  But baby steps first.

cheers, Aus

20 hours ago, engineer118 said:

Is there a way to do this through visilogic? Unfortunately the HMI screen is completely black so there is no possibility of navigating to INFO mode from the HMI (Information Mode (unitronicsplc.com))

I´m affraid no. As long as I remember, INFO mode is not accesible via remote operator neither remote access, so, you would be completely blind to perform SD actions from INFO mode.

I would get a new unit, exchange CPU as Kratmel suggested then verify if project is burnt.

• MVP 2023
On 6/20/2022 at 9:13 AM, Gabriel Franco said:

I´m affraid no.

Later Edit.   My comments here are not correct for a 570. 

I respectfully advise that this is NOT correct.  I routinely get into info mode on remote 130s.  I do not use 570s, but I can't see why it would be any different.  Scrnshot of me in remotely.  Works with both Remote Access and remote access under Visilogic.

cheers, Aus

1434442243_Capture05820-Jun-2223_28.jpg.0b6507f9431db5277bfc4f06ff2cdd2d.jpg

6 hours ago, Ausman said:

I do not use 570s, but I can't see why it would be any different. 

Because Unitronics 🤷‍♂️

I can also confirm that for v570 & v700 you can not access info mode or sd browser functions from the remote operator or remote access.

However if you have another device you can test and take note of where the buttons are located on the remote operator because it does enter info mode but you can not see what is going on the screen... although I guess that if you had another device to do that test it will be better just to swap the parts then

5 hours ago, kratmel said:

258815516_Infomode.jpg.d540c585b28db314c09417195ed1bb6a.jpg

On 6/18/2022 at 2:16 PM, Gabriel Franco said:

Another option: use SD memory card and attempt  CLONE ALL from INFO mode, so you can move program, OS, data, datatables to a new unit.

I don´t remember if SD Password must be enable on ladder to be able to use this option.

Yes, it needs to be enabled

image.thumb.png.4d16a41a2201f0c7ebebb83a96f379f9.png

On 6/18/2022 at 4:33 AM, engineer118 said:

I have a V570 with a broken HMI (black screen) but we have proved the PLC is still operational by testing the trips it commands. Unfortunately the program is >10 years old and no records were kept. The original supplier also does not have records.

I have successfully connected to the controller via USB To serial cable. Unfortunately attempting an upload was met with Warning 224 “the project cannot be uploaded because: - the option burn upload project was not selected when the project was downloaded, or - due to incomplete data in the PLC”.

There is also “error - no valid upload data has been found in the PLC”.

I am sure the project must have been burned into memory as we have never replaced any PLC batteries and we have an annual shutdown which would drop power to this PLC.

I found a password written on a drawing inside the cabinet - just wondering where I could try put this in if it is what is stopping the upload from working? 

Maybe is dumb to ask thi, but is there any way that you could contact the company or preson that programmed that PLC in the first place?
Maybe someone else has a backup of the software, at least in my experience is a very common practice to have a backup file for situations like this one... even if it its a paid service It maybe worth it.

At least in Industrial automation the programmers rarely enables the option  to upload  the entire project from the PLC, and If it is enabled there is usually another password, I just have meet 1 company whose philosophy was that the end-user should own the source code.

• MVP 2023

Well, I apologise to all.  🙇‍♂️  

I use it often, but maybe I'm lucky to still be using simpler controllers that allow it.

And I repeat my ask about searching everywhere for .vlp.  And I also wonder on the screen failure anyway.  If it has only stopped on first power up after a long period powered off, which you say happens in your site, maybe an internal fiddle of all connections might fix it completely.

cheers, Aus