Sending Email when connected to industrial PC

curtharrington1

Hello,

I have an application that requires sending an email when an event is triggered on a 7" UniStream modular PLC.  I bench tested the application with an ethernet cable from my router and the 7" UniStream, that worked great.  We have since deployed the application and pivoted to using an industrial PC for WiFi connectivity which then connects to the PLC's ethernet port.  I updated the DNS setting with what I polled from ipconfig/all and cannot get the email to send.  The function block returns a -1 (check connections).  I have checked that everything is physically connected but there is definitely something I am missing.  I've tried the WiFi dns info and that did not.  I'm not sure where to go at this point.

On 12/7/2022 at 7:50 PM, Ausman said:

I think a little drawing of all the connections/layout might help.  The bit where I'm getting a little lost is "PC for Wifi".  Is this for WAN access or just connecting to the plc? 

We use the industrial PC to remote into the site to look at the machines PLCs in runtime.  The 5" UniStreams are on the production machines and the 7" UniStream is to gather data via modbus from the machines and then send an email in the event of an alarm.  

RemoteDA Topology.png

• MVP 2023

Both Flex and Gabriel have good suggestions.

I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but why the industrial PC in the first place? 

I've never done it in this situation, but I have used a wifi adapter like a Vonets VAP11G to get something with just a network port onto the local wifi.  Totally transparent and easy to do.

cheers, Aus

On 12/9/2022 at 3:34 PM, Gabriel Franco said:

Set up a network bridge on the PC side between WiFi and LAN adapters. I´ve done it to share internet connection to devices without WiFi using a laptop, however I´ve never tried connecting a PLC to it.  It should work, I guess.

I am heading on site tomorrow to set up the bridge.  

1 hour ago, Ausman said:

Both Flex and Gabriel have good suggestions.

I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but why the industrial PC in the first place? 

I've never done it in this situation, but I have used a wifi adapter like a Vonets VAP11G to get something with just a network port onto the local wifi.  Totally transparent and easy to do.

cheers, Aus

Industrial PC is used for remote monitoring of PLC's and pushing updates