Favourite/Best Virtual Serial Software?

Ausman

• MVP 2023

Hi all, over the years I've had varying success with different Virtual Serial to IP programs.  Some of the supposedly "modern" ones don't want to play properly, and the old faithful still seems to be the most reliable for me, which is USR's VCOM 3.4.1.0.

Wondering what other forum members have as their favourite/one that works reliably?

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

Hi Flex, after lots of consideration because it's such a broad "overview" type question, I felt this was the best forum area to put it up.  Feel free to move it!

And as an aside, in trialling a few more programs on my main PC, I've once again encountered the annoying habit of many serial related programs totally over-writing existing serial drivers, even including the one used for the native serial port, without any sort of permission asked etc.    I couldn't understand why some new cables I'd made weren't working on Com1.  After meter checking again and finding them seemingly perfect, I was thinking that perhaps the pre-moulded plug I was using at one end was missing/had something internally that wasn't obvious with just a continuity check.  But I finally tried a known good pre-existing one and up popped the same "comm error".   Grrrrr.    😠  

Uninstalled the offenders and the drivers windoze had stored deeply away, and I was eventually back in business.  But it was very annoying.    

cheers, Aus

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

Gabriel, I saw this answer but thought it might have been a misunderstanding as I already use Hercules occasionally but haven't seen this ability. 

I've been so busy it delayed me asking the question....does Herc also do virtual serial port?  Or is the reference to the piece of hardware mentioned on that page?

cheers, Aus