Hello,

I'm using the VisiLogic software. I'm familiar with Siemens plc programming, but the addressing in VisiLogic makes me confused. I bought myself VirtualPLC so I can train at home. 

What I need help with:

When I programmed Siemens PLC's I was used to use the addressing: I0.0, I0.1 and Q0.0 and Q0.1 etc.. What is the equivalent of this addressing in VisiiLogic?  I just want to make a really basic ladder program, and then work from there, but at this point I don't know where to start.

Also with Siemens software I could make one net with a memory input, and then define how this memory input would be activated in another net. How can I do this in VisiLogic?

All answers appreciated, got my examination as an automation technician in some months and I will be using the VisiLogic software for my examination task, so it would be great to learn the software.

• MVP 2023

Moved to the correct forum.

Search Operands in the VisiLogic Help file:

image.png.76ab74f0f6f91814a9819b563b1ff10c.png

Also, there are many example programs that came with your VisiLogic installation. Take a look at some.

Unitronics has a YouTube channel where they show the basics. Take a look there as well.

• MVP 2023
11 hours ago, Isakovic said:

I just checked, there is an actual Flip-Flop function block in VisiLogic.

I learn something new every day I'm on this forum.

6 hours ago, hEllberg said:

Is it possible to use the SR flip flop and connect inputs in parallel on the reset input? Or do I have to use set and reset coils?

You can always use an intermediary:

image.png.3c3592c7ebdc66ed0f4de08bbfba7de7.png

MB 5 would then be used on your reset input. The PLC isn't going to care about the extra line of code.

I tried making some really basic program with 2 motors. Motor 1 can't start if motor 2 is running and vice versa.

If I start both motors they both show red on the output. Meaning that they could both run at the same time, even tho I'm fairly certain I programmed it right. Is this just visual or would my motors actually start without interlock? Also the reset coils goes red when the set coils gets a signal.

dd976daa8c46d063fd42ebde334891c5.png

• MVP 2023

Just a few observations:

1) Do not place multiple logic networks in a single ladder rung.

2) What did you use to start Motor 2 while Motor 1 was running? HMI pushbutton, or what? I agree that if MB 3 is on, then turning on MB 6 should not turn on MB 7.

3) You misunderstand what the red lines mean. If a bit is red, then that means it is on (or True). The type of coil is irrelevant to the fact that it is on.

• MVP 2023

But don't forget that Visilogic has the annoying habit of showing red power lines (implying active) on a subroutine that isn't being called. It is a quirk that takes a while to get your head around, and has been the subject of much discussion.  It essentially shows the plc's state of anything in that sub, but it isn't necessarily happening.  One solution is a self-resetting count in the first rung, to confirm that the sub is indeed being called whilst you are watching it.

Another way of doing this, but note that there are currently no safety interlocks relating to physical reads from contactors if that is important....it is purely logic based. 

cheers, Aus

1135344879_Anotherway.gif.fc39cd9451c4de05e035921e4a8bad4e.gif

18 hours ago, Flex727 said:

Just a few observations:

1) Do not place multiple logic networks in a single ladder rung.

2) What did you use to start Motor 2 while Motor 1 was running? HMI pushbutton, or what? I agree that if MB 3 is on, then turning on MB 6 should not turn on MB 7.

3) You misunderstand what the red lines mean. If a bit is red, then that means it is on (or True). The type of coil is irrelevant to the fact that it is on.

1) I won't do that from now on 😎

8fac0faaa4057c9cbe0c1592fe274f54.png

2) I used a HMI pushbutton that I pressed on my VirtualPLC software. When I placed the networks in different rungs it seems like I can't run both motors at the same time anymore, so that problem got solved.

9ea5335956b1b9c6285aa5ab4249b7fd.png

3) I understand that, I just explained a bit weird. I don't understand why my reset bits gets turned on when I start one of the motors. Anyways it doesn't seem like it has anything to say.

Now if I do an online test and I start motor 1 for example, then do some changes to the program, download it to the VirtualPLC and then go back to the online test. Motor 1 is still running, and I have to press the stop button to stop it.  Is this because I'm using Memory Bits? I want the motors to be default in stop every time I restart the PLC.

• MVP 2023
56 minutes ago, hEllberg said:

I want the motors to be default in stop every time I restart the PLC.

Then you just need to select RESET as the Power-up parameter NONE is the default selection):

image.png.8dce03f9e6ef264a6c113503dd416a07.png

All of the PLC memory is retained through power cycle by default (if the battery is good). This includes the state of Outputs. This isn't an issue with Direct Coils, but if you use Set & Reset Coils, then you need to pay attention to this detail.

1 hour ago, hEllberg said:

I don't understand why my reset bits gets turned on when I start one of the motors.

Your Reset Coil has the logic property of Reset, but when in online mode, the red is just indicating the state of the bit, on or off. Any type of coil will indicate the state in the same way. It is different when the bit is a contact. Contacts will show power flow and thus an inverted contact will be red when the bit is off.

4 hours ago, Flex727 said:

Then you just need to select RESET as the Power-up parameter NONE is the default selection):

image.png.8dce03f9e6ef264a6c113503dd416a07.png

All of the PLC memory is retained through power cycle by default (if the battery is good). This includes the state of Outputs. This isn't an issue with Direct Coils, but if you use Set & Reset Coils, then you need to pay attention to this detail.

Your Reset Coil has the logic property of Reset, but when in online mode, the red is just indicating the state of the bit, on or off. Any type of coil will indicate the state in the same way. It is different when the bit is a contact. Contacts will show power flow and thus an inverted contact will be red when the bit is off.

Thank you!

• MVP 2023

Famed Unitronics user Ash Neilson developed this a few years back and I'm guessing from this post it's back on the market and you can actually buy it.  His original website is no longer working but apparently you can get it here - 

https://www.plc-apps.com/products/virtual-plc-simulator

You'll notice the developer website and the contact link don't work.  I've tried contacting him on the old link and never gotten a response.

@hEllberg - this is NOT an official Unitronics product and if you need help with the simulator program itself you'll have to deal with the supplier.  I really do hope that the simulator works for you.

Keep asking questions about the programming of the Unitronics PLC and we'll do the best we can to help you understand.  

Joe T.

• MVP 2023
12 hours ago, hEllberg said:

I used a HMI pushbutton that I pressed on my VirtualPLC software.

As Joe said, this isn't Unitronics software. While it may be useful as a learning tool, I would never use it in a production environment. The PLCs themselves are relatively inexpensive - buy one to use for development if you are doing serious programming. It is the only way to ensure you are getting the results that will work in a actual production environment. I say this as an independent contractor - I have no relationship with Unitronics except for the assistance I provide on this user forum.

11 hours ago, Flex727 said:

As Joe said, this isn't Unitronics software. While it may be useful as a learning tool, I would never use it in a production environment. The PLCs themselves are relatively inexpensive - buy one to use for development if you are doing serious programming. It is the only way to ensure you are getting the results that will work in a actual production environment. I say this as an independent contractor - I have no relationship with Unitronics except for the assistance I provide on this user forum.

I only use VirtualPLC for myself private to get to know the VisiLogic software a bit, also it does seem to do it's job. The VirtualPLC program is really easy to use.

I do it just for learning and nothing I make will be used in production. At work I do have a PLC that I will program for a training station.