VisiLogic 9.8.80 HMI frustration

Flex727

• MVP 2023

Is it just that I have a relatively slow computer, or is handling complex HMI screens with 9.8.80 just extraordinarily excruciating? If you fill up a V1210 screen with many elements, then selecting and deselecting elements can take a very long time (I timed it - a full 7 seconds each time). Also, if you have a few elements selected and try to select a different few elements, it won't let you - it will deselect all of them (after waiting 7 seconds). Same thing with trying to move many elements simultaneously - elements get deselected (or lose focus) each time they are moved.

Building a complex HMI screen can take many frustrating hours waiting for elements to select and deselect. I'm at my wits end with this. It was not this bad with previous versions.

• MVP 2023

Maybe slow, maybe not. 

I've seen this sort of thing where forcing the system to only run on one core fixes the issue where seemingly simple instructions seem to hang forever.  Have you tried forcing the puter to one processor?  msconfig  Boot tab and Advanced Options, where you choose Number of Processors.  Don't forget to reset to correct number when not needed.  The CPU loading in Task Manager was always low during the issue, that's why it took a while to figure out....."What  ***   is going on?"

Is this W10?  If so, many compatibility settings that were in earlier versions have disappeared from easy use, but they still work with registry tweaks.  The favourite for me is Disable visual themes, which makes a whole host of my programs again work correctly in W10.

I'll stay tuned.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

This is my desktop running Windows 7. The CPU is an Intel i5-3330 @ 3.00GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a 512 GB SSD for the main drive. There is only 1 processor core.

I checked on my laptop, which is brand new and running Windows 10. It has an Intel i5-8250U @ 1.6GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a 1TB SSD. There is only one processor core on this machine as well. It does exactly the same thing - takes over 7 seconds to deselect elements on the HMI.

The RAM seems to be nearly maxed out when I check. Maybe that's the issue.

• MVP 2023

I checked the RAM issue on my laptop. Same amount of RAM, but not maxed out there. The only reason it's maxed out on my desktop is that it rarely gets rebooted and there's a dozen different instances of Chrome, each with multiple tabs, Outlook, Excel, Acrobat, etc, all running. The laptop was freshly booted and was only running VisiLogic. The deselect on the same project file also took over 7 seconds and neither CPU, RAM usage, nor disk activity rose substantially.

I'm at a loss.

• MVP 2023

I've seen that behavior on Win 7 on an older laptop.  This is probably the most dense screen I've done on a V1210-

image.png.4d7aa4808056dd4278625a5726d8bf38.png

I'm still running 9.8.65.  Between static and dynamic elements it has about 250 items.  If you click between items it jumps right to them, but if you click a blank space it takes about 5 seconds.

This on my low-end Dell Optiplex 990 desktop.  

My laptop is a different story.  It takes 10 seconds to jump between elements on this program.

One thing that came to mind is I always put a cheap graphics card in my desktops - I never use the on-board video as that uses system RAM.  On this box I've got a 2 GB AMD Radeon R7 240, which was about $50 at MicroCenter.  On a laptop you don't have that luxury.

Also, Visilogic is still the latest revision of a Visual Basic program.  It's old and heavy when running on a modern OS.  Are you running 32 or 64 bit Win 7? 

I'll try editing this program on my computer at the office, where I have 9.8.80 installed for forum questions.  I do have a graphics card in that one as well.

Joe T.  

• MVP 2023

Desktop (about 7 years old): Windows 7 64-bit, Intel CPU i5-3330 @ 3.00GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a 512 GB SSD for the main drive. Graphics is on-board since my video card died, which I haven't replaced since the system is pretty old and will be replaced soon.

Laptop (<1 year old): Windows 10 64-bit, Intel CPU i5-8250U @ 1.6GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a 1TB SSD. On-board graphics.

The slow graphics in VisiLogic is virtually identical between the two systems (7+ seconds to deselect elements by clicking on a blank area). This astonishes me.

• 4 months later...