How do I use Version Swapper?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I have VIsilogic Version 9.8.31, I have downloaded Visilogic swapper version 9.4.0 and 9.3.1 (zip files, and extract them), but when i use Visilogic swapper to register version 9.4.0 or 9.3.1 an error message appears: "Runtime error 339 Component amiTapi.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". What can I do to solve this?

• MVP 2023

Hi Edgar,

Reading your post has me a little confused.....your statement implies you are trying to register various versions of Swapper.  Swapper is the means to register different Visilogic versions.  It is primarily used for when you want to work with older versions of Visilogic for compatibility with PLC installs done at some point in time past.  Using modern versions often creates the need to update a host of things, or do major mods to a program because of the constant improvements Unitronics is excellent at, and this is the way to get around it without uninstalling the existing version and reinstalling the one you want to use.   To get older versions of Visilogic you should be looking at "Previous Versions", not "Swapper Versions" on the software page: https://unitronicsplc.com/software-visilogic/

Use the latest version of Swapper that will have installed along with 9.8.31 to register various versions of Visilogic.  (edit:  9.8.31 was current at time of post, but always relates to the latest stable version)

Run both the installs and programs as Administrator.  I also suggest that you have a good read of these topics/answers: 

My method of creating "virgin" Visilogic installs and then copying them elsewhere for future use/reference hasn't failed me yet.  If you still have issues after trying the options, please let us know.

cheers,

Aus

• 6 years later...
On 4/26/2017 at 9:32 AM, Ausman said:

Hi Edgar,

Reading your post has me a little confused.....your statement implies you are trying to register various versions of Swapper.  Swapper is the means to register different Visilogic versions.  It is primarily used for when you want to work with older versions of Visilogic for compatibility with PLC installs done at some point in time past.  Using modern versions often creates the need to update a host of things, or do major mods to a program because of the constant improvements Unitronics is excellent at, and this is the way to get around it without uninstalling the existing version and reinstalling the one you want to use.   To get older versions of Visilogic you should be looking at "Previous Versions", not "Swapper Versions" on the software page: https://unitronicsplc.com/software-visilogic/

Use the latest version of Swapper that will have installed along with 9.8.31 to register various versions of Visilogic.  (edit:  9.8.31 was current at time of post, but always relates to the latest stable version)

Run both the installs and programs as Administrator.  I also suggest that you have a good read of these topics/answers: 

My method of creating "virgin" Visilogic installs and then copying them elsewhere for future use/reference hasn't failed me yet.  If you still have issues after trying the options, please let us know.

cheers,

Aus

Ausman,

I know this is an old post but you mentioned creating "virgin" Visilogic installs - does this mean they are complete installs? If so how have you separated them/renamed them to get this to work? I've tried version swapper but it didn't seem to work and somehow resulted in reinstalling windows again.

• MVP 2023

Hi Paul, I haven't used Swapper for some years now. 

As I essentially have a low number of sites I work at,  I made the decision to switch all the Visions to 9.8.65 and it made things so much easier.   ( I have yet to switch to the latest "more secure" version, wanting/waiting for it to be proven....)

However, the explanations in both the referenced Topics above pretty much state the process, but I'm a little vague on complete intricacies. They were complete installs done on a system that was devoid of anything Vision related.  My favourite program for achieving this is Revo Uninstaller, and I use the paid version.  Also note my comment.....Then start again with the different installs you need to have on your system, running all of them as Admin.  I would use the latest swapper.  This will be tedious doing all the previous version installs over again etc, but I think it is worth a try.   Particularly the word "tedious" as all the copies must be done as Admin install if you haven't done them correctly!  The virgin copy goes in a folder with the version name.....and all those version folders went under a folder called "Swapper Virgins" or similar.

My current method for very occasionally having to use any different Visi version is to mostly do it via a virtual machine, and I'm happy to do a different VM that is just that  version. But..... 

FYI.  I now have 3 different PCs running different Windoze versions available on my desk, one is the up to date main system for everyday use, and the others for when I need to work with much older PLC or sensor programs, right down to DOS, that simply refuse to work correctly under more modern OS's, even as a VM or dosbox etc.  (Re the VM comment above....both of these other systems each have a different older Visilogics version that I used to use)   I used to have a single PC running caddies to enable easy changing of C drive to load those different Windows versions when needed, along with external power switching of drives to disable internal drives that would have been affected by running the other versions, but sadly discovered mid last year that the one failing of this seemingly terrific idea is when there is a complete motherboard failure.  It was no fun. 

😱

Many on the forum also have different laptops doing the same thing for field work.

Hope that helps.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

I currently have 11 different VisiLogic versions installed on my desktop and my laptop and it all works flawlessly. When setting up a new PC, I follow this procedure:

1) Install the oldest VisiLogic version first, then rename the folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unitronics\Unitronics VisiLogic_C to something else (such as Unitronics VisiLogic_C - 9865, for version 9.8.65). The folder name is what will show up in Version Swapper so you want to be able to recognize which version you're swapping to.

2) Install the next oldest version and repeat until all versions are installed and renamed.

3) Use the Version Swapper from the newest version (VisiLogicVersionSwapper.exe)

I think the "swapper versions" available online do not need to be installed - just unzipped to the Unitronics folder (not sure).