Required 10 to 15 PLC on network

Hi,

I have a requirement of 10 to 15 PLC's on network using Ethernet.

And custom C# App which able to read cycle from particular PLC and load cycle to particular PLC on same network .

recommendation needed.

Which PLC should I use? currently I am using vision 120 "V120-22-UA2", recommend the model closer to vision 120 if 120 will not work. 

Are Unitronics DataTable and ComDrive Libs can do this job or any other lib is required?

Hi;

V120  Series cannot do Ethernet.

Look at the V130-J-TA24  + V100-17-ET2 ( Ethernet Card)       LCD Screen, Keypad

or

V350-J-TA24 + V100-17-ET2 ( Ethernet Card)      3.5 inch Colour Touch  HMI

If the program is small and compact, look at the SAMBA  Series

VisiLogic has methods to convert existing  program from V120 to V130 or V350 Color - Ladder OK, then Modify the screens

Also look at the  Software Developer Tools under the Visilogic downloads  for .NET drivers and Active X tools.

DanT

Hi;

The V120-22-UA2  has 2 Comports.

Use COM1  for Programming and Online troubleshooting.

Configure COM2  for RS485 ( See Instruction Sheet for Jumpers to Set)

You can use MODBUS to move Data between the units. Just watch the timing , Search    MODBUS    in the forum

and there are several vey helpful  topics  by the experts about good practice in timing Modbus  Calls.

DanT

• MVP 2023
28 minutes ago, Waqas said:

.NET drivers and Active X tools are capable for handle the RS485 and MODBUS timing ?

No.  These are for the Unitronics native protocol called PCOM and don't require any additional program changes in the PLC program.  Using the PCOM protocol, you can go directly into the V120's memory.

Modbus is a totally different protocol that Unitronics supports.  It requires Modbus function blocks and configuration be added to the PLC program.

The next comment is my opinion only based on my experience-

If you don't have a large investment in V120's already, go to the V130.  The V120's RS485 port is sketchy - the V130's is much more robust.  Plus you can add an Ethernet port.

I had a customer having problems with V120 RS485 communications and I wound up dragging my oscilloscope out and looking at the signal.  I found the amplitude of the signal attenuated significantly if only three PLCs were connected together.  The V120 program can be converted to a V130 program, so I did that and connected V130s together (being a distributor has its advantages).  The signal was much stronger and the problem went away with V130 units.

If you've already got a bunch of V120's, you may want to seriously consider adding RS485 repeaters to boost the signal as needed.

Joe T.

• Like 1

Much appreciate your opinion,

So if we consider the V 130 with ethernet port. And by the help of  Unitronics Development tools .NET drivers and Active X tools.

we can able to read, write cycle to particular PLC on network  in C# application? And there is no need for Modbus communication.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 10:15 PM, DanT said:

Hi;

The V120-22-UA2  has 2 Comports.

Use COM1  for Programming and Online troubleshooting.

Configure COM2  for RS485 ( See Instruction Sheet for Jumpers to Set)

You can use MODBUS to move Data between the units. Just watch the timing , Search    MODBUS    in the forum

and there are several vey helpful  topics  by the experts about good practice in timing Modbus  Calls.

DanT

Is this HW config necessary if you intend to have continuous communication (weighing indicator for example) on port 2 and then be able to monitor/download/upload on port 1? Right now I have only 1 port which I switch internally to either communicate MODBUS to weight, or listen to monitor/upload/download. So you must have 2 ports to do this at the same time? Thank you

• MVP 2023

Although this isn't an answer to your question, it is directly linked.  I have always been intrigued by this bit of the manuals:

Comms.jpg.27f832743cac072d48f87f37c4a0fd9c.jpg

PARTICULARLY what is in the Note.   I've never actually played lately with comms to find whether it truly means that both the 485 and 232 can happen concurrently.  For me to set this up as a test at present is difficult, but I'm hoping that someone else who's tried it can chime in.   If it is possible it may solve your issue, gojdic.  I have vague memories of trying it years ago without luck, but back then I was beginning at Unitronics stuff and mightn't have known enough.

cheers, Aus

Hi Goldic;

What PLC are you Using? - Only 1 Comport?

If you can install the 2nd COM Port and use it to Communicate with your devices, then  it will be so much easier for troubleshooting - worth the money.

Having the 2 com ports allows you to monitor the device communications a lot better.

If your PLC has Ethernet Port Installed, then Use Ethernet for Programming and Com 1 for Devices.

DanT

• MVP 2023

Hi Dan, I assumed it was a 120 given Goldic's paste, so didn't mention the ethernet.  But agree if it can be fitted it would be much easier.

So who's played with the comms yet?!!  C'mon JoeT, this is something I feel sure you've tried at some stage.  🚬

cheers, Aus