SD application file and firmware version

• MVP 2023

I've just discovered something interesting. Perhaps someone can explain it to me.

Let's say, for example, that I have a PLC (say, a V570) that has the firmware associated with VisiLogic 9.4.0, then I take a project created in 9.8.96 and try to download that file (using 9.8.96) into the older PLC, it will properly refuse and tell me the firmware needs to be updated first. However, if I create a .v57 file from VisiLogic 9.8.96, place it on an SD card and load it into the PLC from INFO Mode, it will download and run just fine. Why?

• MVP 2023

Maybe your file type choice is doing this, in that it is including the firmware?  Your experience is well worth noting if it enables remote firmware update on a plc that shows that it will only do an update via a direct serial line (onsite).  I've never considered this method.

clone.jpg.84773f08214d2686a7b88529263e97b9.jpg

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

I think that only the creators of the controller's firmware can provide a reliable answer.

However, analyzing the SD function you mentioned, it can be assumed that when creating such a controller, the creators could not imagine how long the platform would be updated. I mean both the software environment and the firmware of the PLC itself.

I can only be surprised that some other companies (I won't mention the names :) ) during the year for the same controller model, there were 4 incompatible firmware updates in sequentially provided PLCs that cannot be changed. That is, I converted the program 4 times to load it into the next PLC during the year.

PS.... I remember the time when I installed WIN 3.1 on a 286 machine. It was a joke to prove that everything will work even on such slow machine. I just increased the memory to 4MB and I succeeded. One problem that was insurmountable was that almost 15 seconds passed from pressing the keyboard to the appearance of the symbol on the screen.

Therefore, I think that the performance reserve built into the design of the Vision series will allow us to improve the capabilities of this PLC several times in future.

• MVP 2023
45 minutes ago, Ausman said:

Your experience is well worth noting if it enables remote firmware update on a plc that shows that it will only do an update via a direct serial line (onsite).

A .v57 file does not update the firmware. I tested by trying to download the 9.8.96 file from VisiLogic after and it still refused and wanted to do a firmware update. A .c57 file certainly does update the firmware.

Also note that I am not creating the file from ladder, but rather directly from VisiLogic using Project/Create Project Files:...

• MVP 2023

Then you probably need to experiment with the size of the file with firmware and without firmware in the SD file.

It may turn out that the files are the same and the firmware is still stored in the file, but its download is not activated if the firmware is equal to the needs of the program.

But these are only guesses. As I said above, the developers probably could not provide a version check in the firmware when updating the software from the SD.