PCness sillyness.

Ausman

• MVP 2023

A topic on the forum got me thinking again on the PC sillyness around.

We're heading to not being able to use Male or Female as a name for blokes or girlies.

So I ponder the discussions that are going to go on at my refrigeration supply shop....

"Hi, I'd like a piece of brass with a 1/2" pointy-out thread on one end and a goey-in thread on the other end. The pointy-out end has to have 45° angles that match up to another piece of brass that will have a goey-in thread and angle matching the 45° of the other goey-out bit.  The other bit of that piece will run through to a pointy-out guide stub that will have holes drilled through it around the pointy-out end."

"Huh???" goes the counter staff.   🤔

Instead of

"I'd like a 1/2" MFL x FFL union with frost nut please".

"Sure, Aus".

Seriously, in Orstralia this is going to create so much fun and laughter in all the traditionally "blokey" trades that always use such stuff. And believe you me, the growing number of girls that are taking up such trades will be in on the laughter as well.  Just ridiculous.

The worst bit is that someone somewhere gets paid enormous sums to come up with such silly concepts that somehow filter through to laws.

And incidentally, regarding the original "retarded" word that started this for me, I squizzed at a few online dictionaries and there was absolutely no mention of retarded being in common use for engines or indeed anything that uses precise timing for operations.  As in "retarded/advanced" timing. Therefore, wokeness in the organisation has completely focussed on the "derogatory" aspect completely ignoring another common usage.  I guess they're bowing to pressure to eliminate the word altogether by stealth.   Good thing I've got old paper printed dictionaries to prove such things to "influenced" youngies who can't think for themselves.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

I intentionally used that word and I was actually ready for PC blowback, as PC is one of my highest irritations.  I have whole rants on the words "appropriate" and "offensive".

To your point, here's the definition for you that applies to this situation-

image.png.9f0afe809a46ae6a47a29201d793c0bc.png

The Modbus configuration on this device caused a delay in my progress.

Good thing I didn't try to ask it it's pronouns.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

So...putting a hypen in it is the trick.  Who'd have thunk that will now make it acceptable.

Does that now mean that we have a new word "tard" which actually means advanced/quicken?  I'd be pretty gruntled at that one!

cheers, Aus

On 2/10/2024 at 4:24 PM, Ausman said:

Seriously, in Orstralia this is going to create so much fun and laughter in all the traditionally "blokey" trades that always use such stuff. And believe you me, the growing number of girls that are taking up such trades will be in on the laughter as well.  Just ridiculous.

And I've found over the years, that coworkers with a "Goey-In" can be much more rude & crude than us with the "Pointy-Outs"..:rolleyes:

Just sayin"...