Programming counter problems

I am rebuilding the controller of the line. My problem is that I need to install the length measureing with a 2500 ppr that countes up and down so I need to use both channel A and B. I cannot get the controller (SM70-J-RA22) to do its thing on the display. What ever I do the count just constantly increasese when input 0 or 1 is switched on.  Am I programming it right or is this the wrong  device for this job?. You help would be appreciated. It is a clever bit of kit so it should do it. Thank you for your help.

I am sorry if I seem dim. All the jumpers are as factory and the inputs are active. I cannot find where to change the hardware config to shaft encoder unless it is in the programming. if so please point me in the right direction. This is the first time I/we have had this type of controller. We have used other plc systems which is madly expensive and this unit is ideal for this small application.

Open Visilogic

View

HW_Configuration

Click on the LOWER box - FULL PART NUMBER   SM70-J-RA22

High Speed Inputs   Tab

none - dropdown - choose the High Speed Function to use   ( A-B  shaft Encoder x 2)  and choose an ML  as the operand

Using any Analog Inputs and  Outputs      -- Open the tabs and set them up  -- and the related jumpers in the unit

AND  -- Is the encoder   NPN or PNP outputs?      -- Set the NPN/PNP  Jumper accordingly -  And ALL inputs will be either PNP or NPN !

Thank you all for your help.

Dan t's solution did the trick. I have the encoder input going into a STI (ML) with the shaft encoder into the ML0, ML1 is blank?. I am picking up ML0 into a A=B block with ML2 set as the target. The machine is a cut to length so when the guillotine cut to size the shaft encoder count needs to zero. I have never used these units before so it twisting me head. I have used mitsubisi, siemens and other controllers so sequencing and logic is not new to me. If I can get the hang of these controllers then there are other applications they will be used on.

Thanks again to all

Peter

• MVP 2023
10 minutes ago, peter leeming said:

If I can get the hang of these controllers

In case you don't know, Peter, under Visilogic's Help heading, there are numerous examples that will help you along the learning path.  Some may not be for your particular unit, but the principles are generally the same and can make things much easier to absorb.

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023

In the Hardware config section (under View) for the controller, have you noticed the High Speed Inputs (Reload) section?  Join the dots with the info in Help under Immediate: Update High-speed Input.  I think that will likely help to solve your headtwisting!

cheers,

Aus