Missing vertical scroll bar in VisiLogic 9.8.80

(Mod edit, this Topic's solution at the bottom has been pinned under the "Ongoing...Topics almost worth pinning" Pin.)

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been answered; I've searched the forum and help files without any luck.

I am missing the vertical scroll bar in the main window in VisiLogic. It has made editing very tedious, as there is no quick way to scroll through the rungs of my programs. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, deleting all registry keys that mention VisiLogic, and tried different user accounts on the same computer with no luck. I have also installed 9.8.80 from the same .exe onto two other computers where the vertical scroll bar does successfully appear. Unfortunately these were laptops that I cannot use as my main work computer. I have attached pictures with and without the scroll bar I'm trying to get to re-appear, shown while editing the same .vlp program (not simultaneously). So, the issue seems isolated to the computer and not the vlp file or user account on the computer. If anyone has experienced this issue before and found a solution, I would greatly appreciate the help.

image.thumb.png.810f8d2550ba230897bc29719546ed54.pngimage.thumb.png.533d2f2a78442f5447369ef7d9bd98e2.png

Thank-you in advance for any useful information,

Mark

• MVP 2023

I recall something like this way in the past, but a quick search couldn't find the issue.  The old "have to ask the right search question" problem.

But some questions further to Flex's scaling suggestions.

1.  What windows version?  Some programs I have don't display properly under W10 and there are reg tweaks that fix this.  The fixes used to be easily available under earlier Win versions, but ease of use has been dropped with later ones.....very silly.  Will tell them if needed....but I've never had any trouble with Visilogic.

2.  Everything installed using Run as Admin under right click correctly?

3.  Shouldn't make a difference but have you tried Project/System Descriptions/Restore All System Descriptions?

4.  Have you played with the scrollbar resolution setting under Project/Properties/Ladder?  Just to see if it "resets" something.

5.  What's the native resolution you are trying to run your screen at?  Have you tried other resolutions?

6.  Just out of interest, but I have never done it, copy the entire Visilogic_C folder (just like you would do for making another instance to run), but get the copy from one of the puters that it works ok on.  Paste it into the right area of the problem puter with a rename to do it as another instance, and see what happens.

7.   Drink enough of a bottle of Alice's "Drink Me"  to let you go running around your problem computer's circuit boards until you find the culprit.

cheers, Aus

We found (by Googling Internet) that last cumulative Windows 10 updates (KBs, include KB5001337) make problems with different applications.

Problem include lost scroll bar.

This is Windows update problem, not Unitronics problem.

To fix this you have to uninstall KB update and wait until Microsoft will fix this problem in additional KB update, or other accepted by Microsoft way.

Unitronics has no way to fix this.

Related KBs:

KB5001337

KB5001330

Possible other updates, dependent of Windows OS version.

B.R.

Thanks AlexUT! KB5001337 was the issue. All computers are running Win10 Pro, the problem computer had KB5001337 installed, but not KB5001330. The computers that did show the scroll bar had KB5001330 installed, but not KB5001337.

Thanks to everyone that took time to reply! I'm glad this was an easy issue to resolve.

• MVP 2023

Mark, can you please advise what version of 10 you are on?  And what the other puters are as well?  Run winver is easiest.

A bit of research elsewhere has shown that apparently some rollouts of fixes to known issues don't arrive unless the latest main update has occurred.  Supposedly all of this particular issue only applies to 1909.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

A related note is that I often see systems that have no update blocking, yet they are still sitting on an older version. ( I prefer to block and do selective update when I consider it important )

It is as if M$oft seems to arbitrarily decide on when to update what, and systems get missed in the process.  I end up doing an ISO type update myself after what I consider a suitable delay has elapsed.

I once thought it was related to processor type and possible problems they suspected might happen, but I've never got to the bottom of this issue and gave up ages ago.

cheers, Aus

Tossing another log on the MS fire. The KB5001337  install did the same for me on 1909.

First noticed it because of trying to use the arrow and page up/down keys on the ladder. This would give ctfmon.exe a short term memory leak, causing half of my clicks and keystrokes everywhere in windows to get lost. Since I use a mouse /keyboard sharing app between two PC's, boy did this send me down some wrong rabbit holes for a while.

• MVP 2023

I think that M$oft must have a special division that sits there all day mulling over what next they can fundamentally change that will cause maximum grief for users. 

Or their true specialty...become aware of a supposed security issue and fix it by simply stopping that function working,  instead of getting rid of the hole whilst retaining current usability.

cheers, Aus